Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Encore in sub-freezing weather >

Encore in sub-freezing weather

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore in sub-freezing weather

Old 01-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Encore in sub-freezing weather

Last year I was lucky enough to go on a caribou hunt and was succesful not once but twice w/ my 30-06. Next year i am planning on going again but this time i'm planning on taking my 209x50mag. I was wondering if anyone has ever hunted w/ there Encore or any other muzzeloader when the temp. went to -20 and how it performed...
Old 01-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Encore in sub-freezing weather

Never used an Encore hunting here in the cold. But I sure have hunted in cold weather. The worst was -28º degrees. Thank goodness there was no wind. None of us lasted too long that day hunting. It was the last weekend of muzzleloader season here in Northern Wisconsin (last of December). I was using my T/C Renegade and the rifle did not seem to mind the cold. One thing I heard is the point of impact is different in the bitter cold because of the powder and the way it ignites. Whether this is true I could not tell you. I have often shot in the cold, say the 20º range and really noticed no difference in rifle. I would make sure any oil used in the trigger or hammers are able to take that cold temp. It will be interesting to hear how your hunt goes. I had friends that tried that caribou hunt and never saw one close enough to shoot at.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would email Cecil Epp at PRBullet.com . Betcha he could give you some pointers!

oops, no "s" in that website.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

with the wind chill it was about -10 at times yesterday.....it hovered around 5-10 degrees all day....i think my gun actually went off faster becuase there wasnt ANY moister in the air at all.......just dont take it in a warm care or building....it will sweat really fast......
Old 01-13-2004, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

A few years ago, Pa. had some very cold weather during the after Christmas flintlock season. I always leave my rifles outside when hunting during very cold weather. When I left the house one morning, the thermometer read -15. I remember wondering if my flintlock would fire reliably at that temperature.
I didn't have long to wait (fortunately),I shot a doe and my flintlock went off almost as fast as a modern rifle.
If your pin hits that 209 primer, it will fire.