Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 HELP......Choosing between 3 Muzzleloaders >

HELP......Choosing between 3 Muzzleloaders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

HELP......Choosing between 3 Muzzleloaders

Old 01-08-2004, 05:31 AM

Default HELP......Choosing between 3 Muzzleloaders

I am currently trying to choose between the following three muzzleloaders: T/C Omega, Knight Elite, and Winchester Apex. Although I have shot muzzleloaders for a number of years, inlines included, I have no experience with any of the above rifles.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback, both positive and negative, on issues such as ease of clean-up, out of box accuracy, and quality.

Hopefully some information will make the decision a little easier!
Old 01-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP......Choosing between 3 Muzzleloaders

are these all inlines???.....if so why???.....an inline muzzleloader that fires like a centerfire, a scope on it, pellets, and it looks like a bolt action????????....i don't get it.....i have T/C .50 hawkens flinter....and love it, i even shot my friends inline and don't see what all the hoopla is all about!!!!!!.....i can load my flinter as fast as my friend's inline with loose powder and patched round ball....and the gun he has is stainless with composite stock.....if you didn't see the ramrod you'd think it was a centerfire.....JMO.....thank god pa has the late season flintlock season to hunt in....i also use this gun in the reg deer season in pa and n.y....i just don't get it??????.....................................bob
Old 01-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

hey, i'll comment....AND i will stay on topic. i have a knight, and i have a buddy that has an omega. the kights are AWESOME. i will never buy a different brand. the only thing against them is that they are a little more hassle to clean. i didn't shoot my buddy's omega, but i did handle it alot, it seems ok, but just seemed a litte....odd. i can't really explain it, i just didn't like the feel. they seem kinda cheaply made, but there a tons of people that have them and i haven't really heard any compliants. i would think that you have narrowed it down to some good ones, and not matter which one you get, i'm sure it will be fine. handle them as much as possible, look over all the accessories (if possible find someone to let you shoot theirs) and pick the one that suits you best
Old 01-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I LOVE THE KNIGHT, LIGHT WEIGHT, CRISP TRIGGER, AND ITS DEADLY
Old 01-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Of those you mentioned, I would get the Knight....
Old 01-08-2004, 04:50 PM

Easy answer, TC. The Omega is the only one of the 3 that you can silent cock the hammer and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I tried alot of different ones at the Bass Pro and a local store but the Omega was the ticket. If you get deer in close the silent cock is a life saver, and if you ever need it a life time warranty, a life time is a long time. I used it once for my Hawkins after owning it for 10 years and was amazed at the way Thompson center takes care of you so quickly and nicely. Omega all the way, hands down.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabela's has a heck of a price on Knight Elites and there is a $50 rebate from Knight.

NatchezSS has the Winchester Apex models on sale at very good pricing.

I don't know of any deals on the Omega.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I would buy the Elite and the best deal out there is www.natchezss.com Trust me I just went through all of this. At Natchez some of there elite's aren't listed on the web site so you have to call or check the flyer at the web site.

Keep in mind that the elite has to have a scope on it. It doesn't come with iron sights and you cannot add them to it. I chose the Disc extreme because we have a 1X scope law in WI during the muzzleloader season.

I called Knight and they said the accuracy was about the same with the two rifles, but the elite is better balanced. After owning the extreme for a couple of months I see what they mean. The gun gets heavy when you are holding on a deer for awhile.

I ended up adding a red dot to my Knight and now wish I would have bought the Elite. I bought mine for Natchez for $420.00. The price was $458.00, but they came down because I bought two of them. I buy tons of hunting stuff and they are ALWAYS the cheapest and if not they will beat anyone if you tell them wehre you saw it cheaper.

I haven't shot at 100yds yet but at 50yds I am almost in the same hole each time from a sand bag rest. 100grain triple seven with 250 dead centers.

Before buying I called Knight three or four times with questions. They alway spent all the time I needed to answer me and never were anything but helpful. In fact it was like calling someone I go hunting with. They even sent me next day air samples of their red hot bullets and had any ballistic infor I needed.

To answer the other person about inlines being like centerfires. Yes you are right. My priority is an extra season and another chance to hunt the mighty whittail. I love the idea of making one shot count, but when I do shoot I want it to be there. I hunt Buffalo County in WI and see world class deer. I am not afraid to admit that I am all about the trophy and personally like a beef steak better than venison any day of the week. I hunt almost every day during the season with my bow, rifle, and muzzleloader and can't get enough.

Sorry to get off topic, I just wanted to let some of the people that don't understand why we use these "modern" inline smoke poles. I do have great respect for the guys that are into tradition (along with the stick bows) but it's just not my thing.

Cybersniper
Old 01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cybersniper, did you look at Cabela's to see what I was pointing out?

Knight® DISC™ Elite Rifle - Blue/Black On sale! Item: XD-214990
Price: $349.99

There is then a $50 rebate from Knight so it would be 299.99 for a Knight Disc Elite in choice of .45 or .50 .

NatchezSS usually does have good prices but sometimes.... just now I can't even get to their website to see what they have that rifle priced at. I do know they currently have excellent pricing on the Winchester Apex.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Omega and love it. I support purchasing American goods when you can, Knight and T/C are American companies. The Apex is built in Spain, I believe by CVA.

Quick Reply: HELP......Choosing between 3 Muzzleloaders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.