Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting my ML in the cold >

Shooting my ML in the cold

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting my ML in the cold

Old 12-12-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Shooting my ML in the cold

I typically hunt the early muzzleloader season when it is about 60-70 degrees. Will the cold weather effect the trajectory of the bullet in any way? Will me gun shoot differently or will the cold weather not effect anything?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting my ML in the cold

60-70 degrees is not cold . Although being where your from you know cold weather too. I am sure your late season is as cold as ours is.. Some do claim that the real cold days will change the place where your rifle hits. I live in Northern Wisconsin and we know what cold is (twelve below zero last night for instance). I have shot my Renegade in all kinds of weather and all temps and never really noticed all that much of a change. Perhaps if I was out in the stuff for days on end, or it was real humid, that might make a difference. The other day I was sitting out in the back yard, sitting on a stool in the snow shooting and never noticed the rifle shot any different then it did in the summer time. If you have any doubts or want to be certain, take the gun out and blast a few rounds on a real cold day. Good reason to shoot, and it will make you sure what your rifle will and will not do. Have fun and be safe.

12/13/03 I went out in the back yard to shoot some more. I was shooting sabots out of the Hawkins and then roundballs. It was only in the teens, but the rifle shot fine. I never shot further then 50 yards....