Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Happened?

Old 03-15-2023, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What is the largest shot you may use for turkey in your state? Might want to try that, those guns were not meant for fine shot in their day.
According to Idaho Fish and Game, no person may take wild turkey with lead shot exceeding BB size, or steel shot exceeding T size.

I understand that it was not meant for a fine shot, but I still figured it would be fun to at least try it for turkey.

If it doesn’t work out, I’m gonna switch to my regular shotgun.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
According to Idaho Fish and Game, no person may take wild turkey with lead shot exceeding BB size, or steel shot exceeding T size.

I understand that it was not meant for a fine shot, but I still figured it would be fun to at least try it for turkey.

If it doesn’t work out, I’m gonna switch to my regular shotgun.
If you arer going to use it for turkey you want to give yourself the best chance to kill the bird and not send it off wounded to die and go to waste. Small shot is ok when you have a tight choke to give a tight pattern, instead of a choke you have the reverse of a choke..
Old 03-15-2023, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If you arer going to use it for turkey you want to give yourself the best chance to kill the bird and not send it off wounded to die and go to waste. Small shot is ok when you have a tight choke to give a tight pattern, instead of a choke you have the reverse of a choke..
I totally understand. That’s why I am limiting my shot to 12 yards. I don’t want to cripple the bird and let it die somewhere else. Completely unethical. I want to try and make it a clean kill.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:36 PM
JW
Super Moderator

A tip for you.
Use a blind. Place turkey decoys exactly 10 steps in front of you. The birds will come in. Be payient.
Thus your 12 yd shot is no problem.

I do this all the time.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
A tip for you.
Use a blind. Place turkey decoys exactly 10 steps in front of you. The birds will come in. Be payient.

I do this all the time.
^^^^ when this guy talks about turkeys it's a good idea to listen-Jake
Old 03-15-2023, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
A tip for you.

I do this all the time.
I’ll try it, thank you. I just need to pick up some decoys, then

How many decoys do you generally use? I haven’t hunted turkey in years.