Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How has your season been impacted? >

How has your season been impacted?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How has your season been impacted?

Old 09-13-2022, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How has your season been impacted?

With ML seasons opening across the West and starting soon in the East, how has the supply chain/economy challenges impacted your season planning?

I can throw out a couple to get the conversation going:
- I'm about out of Goex so the sidelocks will be shelved this year. I hope I can get my hands on some real black soon.
- My go-to inline bullet, 300g Barnes Expander, is nearly impossible to find now. I have a good supply of 250g TEZ that will fill the void. I've had good success with them over the years as well.

What about you?
Old 09-13-2022, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I cast my own bullets for my 45 cal ML's. I shoot either Swiss 2F or 3F and 777-3F. I have approximately 300 Musket Caps and about the same in #11 caps. So for this year, I'm in good shape. I just hope the deer cooperate. My problem the land that I hunt on harvested a bunch of trees to a lumbering company and the tree my treestand was in was cut down as well as a bunch of trees around the tree I hunted from. So right now I'm not too optimistic for this year.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I still have about twelve pounds of black powder on hand, so have no concerns powder-wise at least until next summer. Most of my guns are ball shooters and I have ball molds for everything from .32 to 58 caliber plus enough lead to last the rest of my life. I also have a decent supply of #11 caps and 209's, but I will scoop up more caps if they appear at the local Walmart.

Thanks to Ed, I also have a lifetime supply of 350 and 460 grain pure lead conicals for the .45 renegade.

The loggers clear-cut half of our 10-man/900-acre lease last Spring and that area is now a waist high deer buffet. Great for the population but still hunting that area is out of the question. They were supposed to cut the other half this summer, but that hasn't happened yet. I'll bet those suckers are going to move in with the cutters, skidders and haul trucks right at the beginning of the season. So it's going to be an interesting year.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semi, finding #11 has been harder for me the last 2 years than anything else reloading component wise. In the last few weeks I've managed to find 7 tins of the regular CCIs. I prefer the mags, but beggars can't be choosers.

That stinks about the clear-cutting. Hope the timing works out for you!
Old 09-17-2022, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Mike, I feel your pain. The farm I have access to just cut down a bunch of trees right where we always hunted, including the trees we had our treestands in. So we are not very hopeful this year.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have enough Real Black Powder to get me thru the winter, but caps have been a problem. I usually take my first deer with a cap lock side hammer gun and then the next deer with a flint lock. This year i will be hunting with the flint lock to fill all of my tags. I don't feel handicapped with a flinter, but foul weather can be a problem for ignition, and we always seem to have foul weather during deer season.