Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader target shooting. Need opinion >

Muzzleloader target shooting. Need opinion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader target shooting. Need opinion

Old 04-06-2022, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Muzzleloader target shooting. Need opinion

Hi everyone,

I went target shooting with my Traditions Northwest Buckstalker XT. I would like some advice or an opinion about something odd that happened.

My 3 shot group was amazing, about a 1-2 inch group. Problem is, it wasnt dead center. Now, not to brag, but I HAVE shot a soda can off a stick at 75 yards twice, but I dont know what went wrong this time. I was wondering if someone can help me figure it out.

Here are the details along with a picture:

Wind back to front at 8mph

Target set up at 100 yards

Carefully measured 80 grains ffg pyrodex powder

Poured powder into muzzleloader. No spill.

Put lead hollow point Powerbelt 295 grain bullet into muzzleloader.

Put musket cap on the breech plug

Verified fiber optic sight was aligned properly.

Aimed at dead center of target with gun resting on rock.

Fired shot one.

Looked through spotting scope to see one bullet hole above the bullseye.

Repeated process for shot 2

Repeated process for shot 3

Went up to target to inspect. Only found one bullet hole.

Changed target.

Repeated process for shots 4, 5, and 6.

Went up to look at target. Found two bullet holes on the bottom of target.

Repeated process for shot 7

Went up to look at target. Third hole made above previous two.

Packed up and went home.

What do you think? Any idea what went wrong? Did I set the target too far or something?

Can someone try to help me figure this out?

Jared
Attached Thumbnails Muzzleloader target shooting. Need opinion-shot-groups.jpg  
Old 04-06-2022, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Loose sights? or maybe resting on the rock was causing flyers. You should rest the forearm of the gun on a sand bag or at least a rolled up jacket to provide some cushioning.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
Loose sights? or maybe resting on the rock was causing flyers. You should rest the forearm of the gun on a sand bag or at least a rolled up jacket to provide some cushioning.
No, the sight was not loose. I double checked it every time before I shot. However, I see what you mean about resting on the rock. I didn’t have this problem before when resting on a rock, but maybe it happened this time.

Now that I think about it, this time I WAS resting it a different way then the other times I shot. Maybe that’s what happened.

I will try resting it a different way with a different object, like a sandbag, like you said.

I will do that as soon as I get some more ammunition and some breech plug grease. I ran out of both today.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm just guessing here as to what was going on. Normally resting the forearm on a rock, log, or anything hard will usually make your point of impact higher. Anther thing was your first shot was with a clean bore???
After your bore was fouled you next 2 shots
probably hit just under the target without cutting paper. Your next shots hit the bottom of the target in a decent group.
I would repeat this shoot but next time rest the forearm on something softer. Even a rolled up towel will suffice. I'd be willing to bet your first shot on a clean bore will go high and the rest will be lower.
Also be conscious as to how much compression you put on your load. Try to stay consistent.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hmmmm....did you ever find out what the issue was? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Hmmmm....did you ever find out what the issue was? Inquiring minds want to know.
actually, I think I did. I was measuring my powder as an experiment, by measuring 80 grains, then putting it in a quick loader. Then I measured another 80 grains, put it in a quick loader, and then I did it a third time. Turns out, they were all different measures of powder. Not exactly the same.

I wasn’t measuring my powder accurately. I think that was the problem.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default POI questions

Glad you found out your issue.

That said, I never rest the forearm of ANY gun on a solid surface. It can def change your POI
Old 04-12-2022, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I actually learned that the hard way. I was shooting last week, resting it on a rock, and after firing, the guns kickback caused the ramrod holder to hit the rock, breaking it off.

It is an easy fix according to the gunsmith. Just need to get the old broken screw out and put a new one in so the ramrod holder stays in place.

However, I will NEVER rest it on a rock again. Lesson learned.