Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning breech area >

Cleaning breech area

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning breech area

Old 09-30-2021, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cleaning breech area

Ok how do you guys clean out the threads in the breech? I've been using a soft brush dipped in Baristol to brush out the threads then put a patch on it and wipe it dry.
let me know what you all do for this area.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

I use this breech brush . . I spray the threads with solvent 1st and let it work its magic for a min or 2 . Then I put a 3x3 cloth shotgun patch over the brush with solvent on it . Then screw it into the breech and let it follow the threads. Do that with a couple patches . Then hit it with a dry patch and its shiny clean . I actually clean the powder and projectile seating area at the same time with the same patches by pushing the brush deeper in the barrel once it gets past the threads . Then screw it back out following the threads .
That fire channel brush is amazing how much crap it gets out of the breech plug fire channel . I never want to be without one of those . Amazing little brush .

https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Center-Breech-Brush-Channel/dp/B00162MHRA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=thompson+9508&qid=1633056658&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Center-Breech-Brush-Channel/dp/B00162MHRA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=thompson+9508&qid=1633056658&sr=8-1

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 09-30-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
I use this breech brush . . I spray the threads with solvent 1st and let it work its magic for a min or 2 . Then I put a 3x3 cloth shotgun patch over the brush with solvent on it . Then screw it into the breech and let it follow the threads. Do that with a couple patches . Then hit it with a dry patch and its shiny clean . I actually clean the powder and projectile seating area at the same time with the same patches by pushing the brush deeper in the barrel once it gets past the threads . Then screw it back out following the threads .
That fire channel brush is amazing how much crap it gets out of the breech plug fire channel . I never want to be without one of those . Amazing little brush .

https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Cent...3056658&sr=8-1
That's pretty much what I do. I picked up a whole set of brushes like that at Harbor Freight.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is what I use... with a 16 gauge fiber brush turn CCW to pull stuff to the breech.

I spray this into the breech plug port and on the Fiber Brush