Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Set up for new CVA Wolf >

Set up for new CVA Wolf

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Set up for new CVA Wolf

Old 09-09-2021, 09:01 AM
Spike

Default Set up for new CVA Wolf

I recently purchased a brand new CVA Wolf with a stainless steel barrel. I've been looking into what sabots to use as well as which powder pellets and primers to use. I would love some feedback on the complete set up if anyone uses the same as well as the individual parts of the set up. Here is what I am considering:

1) CVA Wolf (already purchased)
2) Hornady SST-ML Low Drags Sabots 250 grain (already purchased)
3) IMR White Hots pellets (because that is what CVA recommends)
4) Winchester Triple 7 209 primers

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by chadmag12; 09-09-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well IMO it's too bad you purchased those pellets. Loose powder is really the best way to go. A relatively inexpensive but accurate bullet is the Hornady XTP. But get something in the 250 to 300 gr range. And you can buy Harvester or MMP sabots separately. I like Harvester CR sabots (CR stands for crush rib).
Black for 45 cal bullets and green for 44 cal.
See my thread on the CVA Accura. Good luck

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-09-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:41 AM
Spike

Appreciate the feedback. Luckily, I have not purchased the pellets yet. Besides the gun, the only thing that I have purchased are the Hornady bullets. Pellets and primers are still up in the air right now as I do more research and hopefully get more feedback.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well that's good Chad. Buying loose will save you money in the long run. Might I suggest some Pyrodex RS that you can likely pick up at your local Wal-mart or sporting goods store. Another thing you can try is good old black powder. Goex FFg will be fine. You will have to purchase a powder measure. I prefer the clear ones that you can adjust in 5 grain increments. Start with 80 grains and work your way up in 10 gr increments. You shouldn't have to go past 100 grains to find your rifle's sweet spot. You can then fine tune your load up or down 5 grains from there to see if there is any accuracy improvement.
Note: During your load testing you should swab between each shot. My method is to swab with a wet patch (both sides) followed by a dry patch. This gets the majority of the fouling buildup and makes for more consistent pressures. Also a lot of rifles shoot best with a slightly fouled barrel so don't be surprised if your first shot is not near the next ones. I'm lucky with my Accura. That puts the first shot right on target. I believe its the only muzzy I have that does this. Others are always a bit off on the first shot.

Let s know how you make out and don't be afraid to ask questions.