Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzys at the range >

Muzzys at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzys at the range

Old 09-17-2021, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Muzzys at the range

My grandson and I went to the range to shoot the muzzys in preparation for the mid-October ML season here in PA. This was the first time for him. I went through the loading sequence with him. He will be shooting my Encore Pro Hunter .45. He did really well.
As I mentioned in my earllier thread I wanted to try Alliant Black MZ in both the 700ML and the Knight Disc Extreme. I didn't do the Knight yet but did play with the 700. And as I expected the Black MZ shot much better than the BH209. Shooting at 100 yards the first 2 shots were a bit low and left so I made a scope adjustment and overcompensated a bit hitting high but centered. Another adjustment and put the next shot in the 1" bull. I had looked through the spotting scope and in doing so flipped my glasses up on top of my head. After swabbing and shooting the next shot it was 2" low and 1/2" right. What the heck? OK swabbed and loaded again. Nestled into the stock - oops, glasses. I dropped them down and cut the bullet in the bull! I didn't realize that my glasses would have caused that much difference. Third shot confirmed scope adjustment putting it just a tad from the other 2. Load was 100 gr of Black MZ and 290 gr Barnes T-EZ with Harvester black CR sabot.
The Encore was punching them all around the bull for my grandson. He was having a ball making smoke. The load for that was 80 gr of Goex FFFg under a 10mm XTP in a light blue Harvester CR sabot.