Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Had some fun

Old 09-03-2021, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Had some fun

Went to the range today and got 2 more muzzys ready for the season. The .45 Encore and The .50 Knight Disc Extreme. The Encore load is 80 gr of Goex FFFg under a 200 gr Hornady XTP in a blue Harvester CR sabot. I tried Pyro P but that was no where near as good as the Goex. Shot 5 shots in about 2" and was pleased.
Next up was the Knight shooting 290 gr Barnes T-EZs but using a Harvester black CR sabot. Initial load was 100 gr of BH209 but not quite satisfied. Boosted it up to 110 gr and put 5 shots into 1.5" then made a couple scope adjustments and got it right on at 100 yards.
Both rifles were swabbed with a damp alcohol patch, both sides after each shot. Supposedly you can shoot BH209 without swabbing because it burns clean! I'm not so sure. The patches came out just as black as with the Goex.
I did notice that when seating a bullet in the Knight it felt like it was 'chattering" on the way down as if the bore was rough. When I got home I gave it a good lapping with J-B compound.
Phone was dead so sorry, no pics. But it was fun and spent about 3 hours there.
I have one more to get sighted in after installing a new scope. My CVA Accura. But I have to wait until my grandson is free with work and fall baseball because its going to be his to use.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really glad things went well for you... Still have not be able to get out here - to dang dry! Now though which rifle are you going to use?
Old 09-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure, Sabot. Probably either the 700 or the Knight. Leaning more toward the Knight. It's a bit easier to get the primers in. The Badger Ridge bolt modification I sometimes have a problem getting the primer all the way into the bolt face. I'll have to see if I can make some kind of tool to push them in.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:22 AM
Fork Horn

You sure did have some fun. Those two loads will surely make for a full freezer.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Not sure, Sabot. Probably either the 700 or the Knight. Leaning more toward the Knight. It's a bit easier to get the primers in. The Badger Ridge bolt modification I sometimes have a problem getting the primer all the way into the bolt face. I'll have to see if I can make some kind of tool to push them in.

Both of those are such really good rifles! and they both can shoot so well. Good luck with either or all!
Old 09-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Both of those are such really good rifles! and they both can shoot so well. Good luck with either or all!
Well I have enough tags to use one to fill each should I be so fortunate. I just have to hold out with the bow and only shoot a buck. It would be nice to bust that black bear (see my thread in big game hunting forum "Big Blackie") with one of them.