Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I have a stuck bullet. >

I have a stuck bullet.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I have a stuck bullet.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have a stuck bullet.

After seeing threads about stuck bullets a over the internet I decided I needed to try this.

Last edited by idahoron; 08-25-2021 at 04:20 AM. Reason: link is not working
Old 08-26-2021, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

The voice is familiar but who is that guy with all that hair?
Thanks for sharing Ron. Fortunately I've never had a bullet that stuck and was able to get it out with either air or with a bullet puller. But I have this filed in a box inside my head for future reference.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made a video of stuck bullets, not one but two. I double loaded a second bullet and immediately caught it with my WITNESS MARK. My first ever after 50yrs of shooting the muzz.
This was in my custom inline and not a side hammer. A breech plug was made with the grease fitting. After the original breech plug was removed AND POWDER DUMPED OUT THE ACTION, the breech plug with the fitting was installed.
I used a much larger hand pump. It worked........... HOWEVER...... no where near as easy. I had to use a cheater bar to get enough force. I'd let each pump set and work its hydro pressure, then pump it again. This worked to a point, when the hose on the pump burst. I ran to the parts store for a new hose fitting and started up again. I had a plastic bag over the end of the barrel, as I had no clue how those bullets and grease may fly out.
It took a long time to get those bullets to move and quite honestly, I thought I'd break another hose. Finally things started to move, yet still a very slow process.

Boys and girls........ that's stuck!

I tried uploading the video last night but the darn thing even this morning was only at 48%. Nuts to that.
There was zero damage or issue inside the bore. Just took a number of patches to push out the majority of the grease, then I used grease remover to eliminate all traces. Then of course made sure that the barrel was properly lubricated.
I've been lucking in all this time. I dry balled just once, and then the above. Doesn't matter how long you've been at it, it like they say, 'Its not if but when".

Attached Thumbnails I have a stuck bullet.-img-1722-reduced.jpg   I have a stuck bullet.-img-1726-reduced.jpg  

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 08-31-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I've been the lucky sort here. I've had a couple balls/bullets in my sidelocks that were either dry balled or either the powder got wet or contaminated for whatever reason. So far I've never had to use this method and was almost always able to get them out with just a ball puller (screw) on the end of my ramrod. I wouldn't be able to do that with a poly tipped bullet and will remember this for future reference.
I did have an instance where the bullet puller wouldn't work and I got it out by removing the nipple and adding about 20 gr of FFFFg into the snail, replacing the nipple and shooting it out into a dirt bank. That was my only option as I was up my cabin in the middle of nowhere and only had the one rifle.