Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ohio late season

Old 01-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Ohio late season

Ohio's late muzzleloader season Sat- Tue. I was able to hunt Sat-Mon but have plans Tuesday. Really was hoping for a buck but also needed one more deer in the freezer one way or the other.

I was out all day Saturday hoping for a buck. Saw a small buck that was too far away, I would have taken it had it been closer. Saw several groups of doe, passed on a few smaller doe that didn't know any better. Got hooked up with a group here locally that afternoon that does some drives on private land and one of our youth tagged a doe on the last drive of the day.

Sunday I was out morning and afternoon. Took a break to go to church, eat lunch and grab a nap(something that needs to happen more often!) The only deer I saw Sunday were on my drive to church crossing the road in front of me. Rained most the day and was yucky.

Sunday night I took the muzzleloader out back to see if it would shoot after hunting in the rain. Took 3 primers to get it to go off and when it did it sounded delayed and slow. So, I was glad I didn't see anything to shoot at anyway. Cleaned the rifle good and was planning an all day hunt Monday.

Got up at 4:30 this morning and made the hour and a half drive to the property I was hunting. Started in a spot I was familiar with and knew was good. About 930 I was getting cold and bored and hadn't seen anything so I moved further down towards a creek bottom. A little after 1000 two does came through. Was able to get the bigger one when she stopped in a clearing about 85 yards away.

Blessed and thankful to be out and enjoying the woods.

The cva wolf and 295gr powerbelts (I know y'all probably hate them!) Did their job and made quick work of this doe. The more I hunt with a muzzleloader the more I enjoy it. Any tips for hunting in the rain with it? I figured being an inline it wouldn't be much different than a regular rifle. But like I said it took 3 primers to go off after hunting in the rain on Sunday.

​​​

-Jake
Old 01-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good job Jake. I'm going to be checking the forecast for next week and just might head up the camp for a day or two. I know bob is itching to get up there.
As far as tips, Keep the rifle in your vehicle after the hunt. Don't take it indoors. Going from cold to warm will cause condensation. Just wipe the exterior down with a lightly oiled cloth. Also put a piece of electrical tape or a finger cot over the muzzle to help keep moisture from coming in through the muzzle.
Another trick one of the old past members here stated is to rub a little bit of candle wax around the rim of the primer prior to installing it in the breech plug. That will stop moisture from getting to the main charge from the breech.
But as you probably know by now my favorite tip for hunting in the rain is to stay in the cabin and sip coffee or check my eyelids for cracks! When you get another 20-30 years on you, you'll understand.......
Old 01-05-2021, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

4 days in enclosed box blind and didnt see any!
Old 03-14-2021, 08:21 AM
Spike

I haven't tried this with a muzzleloader that uses 209 primers yet but if it will fit I surely will as I have done this for years with percussion caps. I will put a piece of saran wrap over the nipple and then seat my cap. Never once in hunting some very wet east TX, LA and Florida hunts have I had a misfire. My next Muzzleloader I am planning to use a lot is a TC Encore and if there is enough clearance I will try to seal it with saran wrap also. I am sort of surprised the 209 primers are that sensitive to moisture.