Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Here's a question

Old 12-25-2020, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Here's a question

I was reading TN LoneWolf's post about the 200 gr XPB bullet he recovered from his deer. Now my question: I was wondering if it was legal to buy an Encore 209x50 barrel and, because it is a black powder muzzleloader barrel, cut it down to pistol length and use it on my Encore receiver?
I'd cut it to about 15" or 16" and then recrown it.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-26-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe you will find you muzzleloader is not classified as rifle and is not subject to those rules. So yes you could modify the ML as you like also long as your modification doesn't require an FFL.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks sabot. That's what I thought too.
My last effort at gunsmithing, putting a dovetail in a barrel, worked out pretty well. Now I have to try my hand at lopping and crowning a barrel!
Old 12-25-2020, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I believe you will find you muzzleloader is not classified as rifle and is not subject to those rules. So yes you could modify the ML as you like also long as your modification doesn't require an FFL.
You're right, but for the wrong reasons. I'll explain:

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Is it legal, because it is a black powder muzzleloader barrel, cut it down to pistol length and use it on my Encore receiver?
I'd cut it to about 15" or 16" and then recrown it.
Short answer: Yes, as long as you have a pistol grip on the frame.

Long answer: The Encore/Pro Hunter is classified as a firearm, not a muzzleloader. However, they're all generally considered "handgun" frames for the purposes of legality, since their whole basis is being able to swap barrels from muzzleloader, to rifle, to shotgun, and to handgun, which is why you have to go through a background check when buying one even in a muzzleloader configuration. It might be prudent to email Thompson Center and check the serial number of your frame, just to be sure, but even if yours originally shipped in some other configuration, I don't believe anyone's ever had a legal issue with it. Additionally, as it is still legally considered a firearm, absolutely do not have a shorter than 16" barrel on a frame with a rifle stock, even if it's a muzzleloader barrel!
Old 12-26-2020, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

funny I replied here last night and post is gone?

any how, yes, a encore is a registered receiver, so as such, it cannot have a shorter barrel on it under 16 inches when there is a rifle stock on it

as it is considered a short barrel rifle at that point and that requires special paperwork to own/possess!
and the larger issue at times comes down to WHO see its and what THEY think is wrong or right!

Old 12-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a problem as I have a piatol grip and a .243 Win barrel that the frame came with. I also have a rifle butt stock and a ,45 an ,50 cal barrels and a 7-08 rifle barrel on the way
Can you put on 18" barrel on a pistol frame? If so it wouldn't matter if it was rifle or pistol configuration.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-26-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, a pistol frame can have any length barrel attached when in a pistol configuration.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:51 AM
Spike

Didn't T/C offer a pistol barrel in the 209x50 for the Encore at one time? Or am I thinking of a custom maker like MGM or Bulberry?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RedneckGeek1
Didn't T/C offer a pistol barrel in the 209x50 for the Encore at one time? Or am I thinking of a custom maker like MGM or Bulberry?
They did. If you want one nowadays, the pistol barrels still pop up on Ebay and Gunbroker occasionally. Bullberry and MGM both produce custom muzzleloader barrels in pistol lengths if you want a new one. I've got an MGM 209x45, but if you want a 209x50 you'll have to go through Bullberry.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
They did. If you want one nowadays, the pistol barrels still pop up on Ebay and Gunbroker occasionally. Bullberry and MGM both produce custom muzzleloader barrels in pistol lengths if you want a new one. I've got an MGM 209x45, but if you want a 209x50 you'll have to go through Bullberry.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.