HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Here's a question
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 07:49 PM
TN Lone Wolf
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I believe you will find you muzzleloader is not classified as rifle and is not subject to those rules. So yes you could modify the ML as you like also long as your modification doesn't require an FFL.
You're right, but for the wrong reasons. I'll explain:

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Is it legal, because it is a black powder muzzleloader barrel, cut it down to pistol length and use it on my Encore receiver?
I'd cut it to about 15" or 16" and then recrown it.
Short answer: Yes, as long as you have a pistol grip on the frame.

Long answer: The Encore/Pro Hunter is classified as a firearm, not a muzzleloader. However, they're all generally considered "handgun" frames for the purposes of legality, since their whole basis is being able to swap barrels from muzzleloader, to rifle, to shotgun, and to handgun, which is why you have to go through a background check when buying one even in a muzzleloader configuration. It might be prudent to email Thompson Center and check the serial number of your frame, just to be sure, but even if yours originally shipped in some other configuration, I don't believe anyone's ever had a legal issue with it. Additionally, as it is still legally considered a firearm, absolutely do not have a shorter than 16" barrel on a frame with a rifle stock, even if it's a muzzleloader barrel!