Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powder coated bullets shoot >

Powder coated bullets shoot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder coated bullets shoot

Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Powder coated bullets shoot

All in all I was fairly impressed at the way the coated bullets shot. Now this was the first time out with the 45 Encore so I had to first sight it in to get it close. Load was 80 gr of Goex FFFg. I fired two 3 shot groups at 110 yards swabbing with 1 wet and 1 dry patch between shots. Before I get a final opinion on these bullets I will shoot others to compare them to. The bullets started snug but had a nice moderate resistance once the rifling cut into them.
Attached Thumbnails Powder coated bullets shoot-20200806_122803.jpg  
Old 08-06-2020, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you have a bore scope, be interesting to check bore to see if any build up happens!
as compared to other bullets and sabots!
Old 08-06-2020, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrbb
if you have a bore scope, be interesting to check bore to see if any build up happens!
as compared to other bullets and sabots!
I didn't notice any during cleaning but why would thete be? This is the same coating used on pistol and rifle bullets and it holds up there under higher pressures and velocity.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

just out of curiosity , to see if there is more from a PLASTIC sabot over them, , just a question on things?
Old 08-06-2020, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrbb
just out of curiosity , to see if there is more from a PLASTIC sabot over them, , just a question on things?
I do have a borescope but I would have seen some indication of the coating residue on the patches and I didn't. Bore is as clean as a whistle.
Also there is no way I could put a sabot over these. The bullets are full bore conicals.
Next outing I am going to try the same bullet with lube and no coating.
I'm dead on at 100 yds and 2" high at 50. That's perfect for 99.9% of my hunting.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-09-2020 at 06:02 AM.