Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Recreational Shooting in the Rock Pit >

Recreational Shooting in the Rock Pit

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Recreational Shooting in the Rock Pit

Old 04-16-2020, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Recreational Shooting in the Rock Pit

Today, I had to get out for awhile.... I loading my shooting stuff in the truck and headed to the Rock Pit hoping that nobody would be there since it was a work day. But then again, right now it is really hard to count on there are lot of people not working.

Got to the pit around noon and I had it to myself - social distancing was not a problem at all.

The goal of the trip was to get my Western ULite sighted in at 100 yards. I had done some preliminary work at Guske's farm so I knew I was very close. Recently, I had received a couple 'discontinued' bullets from Lehigh Defense. They were were made back in the early Bloodline days. I was really interested on the .500x325CF to see if that bullet might shoot sabotlessly. Another bullet that was no longer being sold was a .458x325CF-HP. I volunteered to take some of those also just out of curiosity. Both bullets arrives a few days ago and I have been getting them ready for test shooting. The .500's I did install a cut knurl through the top factory knurl to, in my mind, help stabilize and insure them grabbing the lands on the way up the bore. After looking a the .458x325's I was really concerned they were so long they would not stabilize in a 1/28 twist bore.

If you look closely at the .500 sitting on top of the MMP Sub-base you can see the cut line through the the top factory knurling. Same if you look at the .458 placed in the MMP Sabot - there is a lot of bullet sticking out of the sabot.

Set 6 clays out on the wall at the end of the Rock Pit. I started out with the .458's - shooting two of them at the clays. Both bullets arrived on target and sorta blew the birds up. I was really happy with that - they did stabilize and they shot accurately! The remaining four bird would be done in with 4 of the .500x325's. I should have taken a pic of the original clay layout, but at the beginning I wasn't so sure of how the rifle might shoot the bullets. With one bird left I did click a picture and then shot the clay to heck with a .500x325CF-HP.

This group of pictures might give you more thought on what I was doing...

It was a very good day out of the house!!!

Old 04-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well glad you were able to get out an have some fun. I keep thinking about buying a super accurate ML to do most of my hunting with for at least two reasons. Reason one is I very seldom get to use one of my CF rifles for deer as I usually get my buck during archery season. Secondly even when I did use a CF rifle for both deer or bear over the past 25 years or so, I never fired more than one shot anyway. But there's always that little voice in the back of my head that says well what if you miss or worse yet make a bad shot on gut shoot your quarry. I can live with a miss but wounding an animal and possibly not recovering it and letting it suffer would not sit well with me.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Well glad you were able to get out an have some fun. I keep thinking about buying a super accurate ML to do most of my hunting with for at least two reasons. Reason one is I very seldom get to use one of my CF rifles for deer as I usually get my buck during archery season. Secondly even when I did use a CF rifle for both deer or bear over the past 25 years or so, I never fired more than one shot anyway. But there's always that little voice in the back of my head that says well what if you miss or worse yet make a bad shot on gut shoot your quarry. I can live with a miss but wounding an animal and possibly not recovering it and letting it suffer would not sit well with me.
You know Bronco, I know exactly what you mean! but I have become very confident in what I can do and what I can not... But... still the thought haunts me at times.