Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Bottom Pour Casting Pot >

New Bottom Pour Casting Pot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Bottom Pour Casting Pot

Old 10-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Bottom Pour Casting Pot

I already have 2 Lee 4-20 Bottom Pours that i use, Each Modified to pour BIG Muzzleloader Bullets, And each Designated to an Alloy, one is PURE LEAD ONLY, the other is 1-40 Alloy. This way I don’t have to deal with Emptying them to Change Alloy. This is NICE to be able to Switch Pots, instead of Melting, emptying, and Re Melting just to Change Alloy, This process takes 2 Hours or more. Now i can Simply Switch Pots

I came across a REALLY Good deal the other day on an Old, Yet Brand New in the box RCBS Pro Melt Pot, I have wanted one of these for a long time but couldn’t justify the nearly 400 Dollar Price tag they Cost, Fact is the MUCH Cheaper Lee 4-20 does the EXACT same thing. BUT, I got to good a Deal on this RCBS Pot to Refuse

This New pot will be for my 1-20, Maybe 1-16 Alloy. The first thing i did to this Pot was Modify the Spout by opening it to 3/32 Like my Lee’s So i can fill BIG 400 PLUS Grain Molds FAST, REALLY Fast. These RCBS Pro Melt Pots are Expensive, But they are REALLY NICE!! It has a Nice Heavy, Easily Adjustable Mold Guide to Hold the Big Heavy Steel molds so you don’t have to, They get tiring after awhile. I am looking forward to pouring some Bullets with this Thing

Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 PM
Spike

How does the mold guide work?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
How does the mold guide work?
It adjusts up and down, and the 2 little Stop Collars adjust for the Width of the Mold you are running, when you have it adjusted for the mold you are Running you simply place the Mold Between the 2 Stop Collars, This will put the Cavity directly under the Pour Spout, Lift the Handle to Fill the Mold. The Guide is Simply there to Hold the Mold up so you don’t have to Hold it up By Hand. This is HANDY for BIG Heavy Molds. I only have 1 Mold That gets tiring, It is a LARGE 2 Cavity Steel Mold From Accurate Molds

I won’t use the Guide much, it will spend most of it’s life Swung Around out of my Way. It really boils down to what you get use to. I see Videos of people using the Guide for EVERY Mold, even little light weight molds
Old 10-10-2019, 04:52 AM
Spike

Interesting, I may try the drilling out of the spout. I've heard of it before but never knew how big the hole was. Do you drill it from the top I assume, or take the pot apart?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I used a very similar RCBS promelt furnace for decades, it worked fine, until about 4 years ago when it just stopped working<br />I looked for replacement parts at the time and was told they were no longer available,<br />I purchased a lyman furnace , as a replacement as it was a bit less cash and held 5 lbs more than the original rcbs,<br />and its working ok, they go on sale occasionally for about $245.<br /><br /><br /><a href="https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010225661?pid=267665">https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010225661?pid=267665</a>
Old 10-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

I used a very similar RCBS promelt furnace for decades, it worked fine, until about 4 years ago when it just stopped working
I looked for replacement parts at the time and was told they were no longer available,
I purchased a lyman furnace and its working ok, they go on sale occasionally for about $245.
I probably cast many more bullets than most people do, and either furnace works great.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010225661?pid=267665
Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like my Lee. I used to do all my casting from a cast iron pot and poured with a ladle. You had to stop to get the slag off the surface. The bottom pour is the way to go. And a good thermometer too to keep your molten metal at a consistent temp.