Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet Lubes

Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default Bullet Lubes

Anybody make their own? Besides Lewis of coarse. How about listing some of your favorite ingredient's. of favorite brands. For Black powder I've used Bees wax, Tallow, Olive oil, Neatsfoot oil, Crisco and a few other things. I've also used SPG, DGL and a couple others. I prefer to pan lube.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

My recipe is 10 oz beeswax, 10 oz Crisco and 2 oz Olive oil. (you can substitute mineral oil) I also pan lube.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Spike

By weight or volume, just curious?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

I can tell ya for fact that Bullet Lube can Make, or Break Accuracy! I have said it many times, the 2 most important things to achieving the Best possible accuracy with a Grease Groove Bullet is the Lube you put in the Grooves, and Over Powder Wad Material. This assuming you are working with a Good Bullet, That is Flawlessly Cast
Old 09-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Spike

You got that right! I enjoy experimenting with lube recipe's and it's funny how a lube that works at one distance may not work at another. The 2 best according to the big guys I've talked with were Dan Theodores "White Lightning" Which is no longer made . He died in a fire a couple years ago and took the recipe with him. And Bill Bagwells "Black Majic" which is not commercially sold. Most of the GG shooters tend to use SPG or DGL .
Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
You got that right! I enjoy experimenting with lube recipe's and it's funny how a lube that works at one distance may not work at another. The 2 best according to the big guys I've talked with were Dan Theodores "White Lightning" Which is no longer made . He died in a fire a couple years ago and took the recipe with him. And Bill Bagwells "Black Majic" which is not commercially sold. Most of the GG shooters tend to use SPG or DGL .
Had i not experienced it first hand (how drastic the Effect bullet Lube can be on Accuracy) I would have Argued it! I wouldn’t have thought it to of made, much, if any difference? Lube is lube right? NOPE!!

My first experience was after Shooting a Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet, Lubed with Dan’s NASA Lube. I Shot a Group of them out of my Stainless 50 Green Mountain LRH Barrel. This is what I ended up with

So i am SUPER Excited that i found a Bullet to Shoot this well! I ended up having a Custom Bullet mold made, Copied from an Original 460 Bullshop Bullet, It Shot HORRIBLE my 1st outing??? I was SICK over it! Dan and i visited about it, the VERY first thing he asked me was “What kind of Lube are you using?” I had sent him a picture of my New Bullets, Lubed in a Stuff i had gotten from a Friend, it was Called Gatfeo No. 1, and it was STIFF. Dan Told to try a Different Lube, Softer, that it could DRASTICALLY effect accuracy! I was skeptical, but what did i have to lose? Sure enough, Dan was DEAD ON! I went to a Softer (Bear Fat) Lube and my New Bullet Shot EXACTLY like Dan’s Original Bullshop Bullet. Lube makes a HUGE difference

My Custom Mold Bullets 1st outing looked like this

After i changed Lube, Alloy, and Wad this is what i get, This bullet will do this EVERYTIME out, as long as i do my part of Course. Quite a Difference from the 1st outing Target above huh?

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...nsistant.4638/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 09-16-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

One of my very favorite sources of info

http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm
Old 09-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Spike

That's a great site, I copied it off a few years back. What a lot of people don't understand is Black powder and petroleum don't mix. . Makes great tar to asphalt your barrel. Alox based lubes work great with smokeless. Bullshop is a pretty darn good lube up in these parts.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Bullshop is a pretty darn good lube up in these parts.

LOTS N LOTS of useful info on that site, one of the very best on the Net. Navigate through all parts of it and there is Tons of Solid info there.

I FULLY Agree, Bullshop NASA Lube is as good as it gets! Anytime someone asks about buying a Lube for Blackpowder? I ALWAYS Advise Dan’s BULLSHOP NASA. When i make my own Lube, i am mimicking Bullshop NASA texture, I usually get mine a Little Thinner, intentionally. I have found a Thinner lube to be Superior to Thicker. I like it SOFT, where it will just hold in the Grooves. Place an 1/8” Wool Felt Wad (Oversize) Between the Powder and Bullet lubed as i just spoke of, It just Doesn’t get any better than that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.