HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet Lubes
Thread: Bullet Lubes
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Idaholewis
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
You got that right! I enjoy experimenting with lube recipe's and it's funny how a lube that works at one distance may not work at another. The 2 best according to the big guys I've talked with were Dan Theodores "White Lightning" Which is no longer made . He died in a fire a couple years ago and took the recipe with him. And Bill Bagwells "Black Majic" which is not commercially sold. Most of the GG shooters tend to use SPG or DGL .
Had i not experienced it first hand (how drastic the Effect bullet Lube can be on Accuracy) I would have Argued it! I wouldn’t have thought it to of made, much, if any difference? Lube is lube right? NOPE!!

My first experience was after Shooting a Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet, Lubed with Dan’s NASA Lube. I Shot a Group of them out of my Stainless 50 Green Mountain LRH Barrel. This is what I ended up with

So i am SUPER Excited that i found a Bullet to Shoot this well! I ended up having a Custom Bullet mold made, Copied from an Original 460 Bullshop Bullet, It Shot HORRIBLE my 1st outing??? I was SICK over it! Dan and i visited about it, the VERY first thing he asked me was “What kind of Lube are you using?” I had sent him a picture of my New Bullets, Lubed in a Stuff i had gotten from a Friend, it was Called Gatfeo No. 1, and it was STIFF. Dan Told to try a Different Lube, Softer, that it could DRASTICALLY effect accuracy! I was skeptical, but what did i have to lose? Sure enough, Dan was DEAD ON! I went to a Softer (Bear Fat) Lube and my New Bullet Shot EXACTLY like Dan’s Original Bullshop Bullet. Lube makes a HUGE difference

My Custom Mold Bullets 1st outing looked like this

After i changed Lube, Alloy, and Wad this is what i get, This bullet will do this EVERYTIME out, as long as i do my part of Course. Quite a Difference from the 1st outing Target above huh?

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.