Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300 Gr Deep Curl for Elk? >

300 Gr Deep Curl for Elk?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 Gr Deep Curl for Elk?

Old 08-03-2019, 10:16 AM
Spike

Default 300 Gr Deep Curl for Elk?

Anybody use them? What are your thoughts on them? Are they heavy enough?
Old 08-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

I would say PLENTY Heavy enough, If you put 1 where the Elk Lives, the Fun would Quickly be OVER! I found them to be REALLY accurate, and Retained nearly all of their Weight. If these were legal here in Idaho i would Shoot them with ZERO hesitation

Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Anybody use them? What are your thoughts on them? Are they heavy enough?
For several years now I have referred to them as a 'poor man's' Nosler Partition. Of the production pistol bullets there are very good.

For many and for many years the XTP has been suggested as a very good ML bullet and several years back I attempted to show the difference. I never had real good luck with Hornady bullets and elk. This picture shows a test that I used to show myself which might be the tougher bullet. Especially on elk

The Deep Curls/Gold Dots worked well for me as a sub for a Nosler Partition.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Spike

So I shot a deer with the Deep curl, all I can say is wow! I shot it in the neck and it was DRT. Not surprising, but when I skinned it Its head literally fell off. The only thing holding it on was the hide. Normal entrance and exit holes about nickel size, but unbelievable tissue damage. Not blood shot, but was like a bomb went off.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

So I shot a deer with the Deep curl, all I can say is wow! I shot it in the neck and it was DRT. Not surprising, but when I skinned it Its head literally fell off. The only thing holding it on was the hide. Normal entrance and exit holes about nickel size, but unbelievable tissue damage. Not blood shot, but was like a bomb went off.

Congrats on the Deer Mike I was sure impressed with Accuracy when i shot them through my Sidelock, and Bullet Performance from the Sand Bank i shot them in, HUGE EXPANSION, They were TOUGH and held together.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

And now you know why I call them a "Poor Man's Nosler Partition". They are really a good hunting bullet. Probably the most commonly used bullet in a ML is the Hornady XTP and in my testing the Gold Dot was way more impressive than the XTP.

Congrat's!!!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would definitely use the Gold Dot over the XTP for elk. But i find no reason not to use the XTP on deer. I've found they perform great on deer size game. One of the biggest buck I ever shot (a legitimate 200+ lb fell to a "petite" 200 gr 10mm XTP after only a short run of about 45 yards. Complete pass through destroying the lungs. But I'll be the first to admit the Gold Dot is a tougher bullet.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

300gr DeepCurl was one of the best jacketed bullets ever offered and its cheap. The Speer 300gr 458 though is tougher. Consider it you if want to shoot max loads.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Spike

I love DeepCurls, I've been shooting the 300's with a black crush rib sabots out of my Omega and it loves them. I plan on shooting them sabotless out of my .45s.