Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Knight Mountaineer .45 1:20 Ordered >

New Knight Mountaineer .45 1:20 Ordered

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Knight Mountaineer .45 1:20 Ordered

Old 06-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just a suggestion to think about - if you are shooting BH be sure to insulate the bottom of a lead bullet. The temperature of BH burn will easily melt the bottom of a soft lead bullet.

Also when you get it or when you get the new Lehigh breech plug and vent liner - you are probably going to want to shim the breech plug to keep the breech clean and help prevent the primers from sticking in the primer port or the bolt face.

This was my Mountaineer FT-45...

One of the first things I did was swap out the wood stock for a ULite Kevlar stock. It was a lot better for me hunting...

Working long range or out of a hunting nest - probably would have stayed with the wood stock...

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-27-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, I just read your Tutorial on shimming a Mountaineer BP, Sounds easy enough to do! By using the 0.241 Shim that will drop in to Determine what is needed, and Once determined, Go to the 0.248 and Press fit them in. I need to order the Shims. I should order the Lehigh Plug now, and not even bother with the Original Knight Plug that will come with the Gun?

Is there a Brand of 209 primer that you feel is better for Muzzleloaders? I know i have a few Hundred Fed 209A Primers, i have used them in a Magspark 209 Adapter for Sidelock, I do this when Clearing/Cleaning the Breech of any possible Excess oil. The Fed 209A Primers are Dirty, They will start sticking in this Magspark after 5-6 if I don’t clean the Crud out of the Magspark. I only do the Procedure above to prepare a Sidelock to Hunt, And Primer Foul the Bore.

I can probably get any Brand of 209 i want over at North 40, Which should i go with?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 54bore
Mike, I just read your Tutorial on shimming a Mountaineer BP, Sounds easy enough to do! By using the 0.241 Shim that will drop in to Determine what is needed, and Once determined, Go to the 0.248 and Press fit them in. I need to order the Shims. I should order the Lehigh Plug now, and not even bother with the Original Knight Plug that will come with the Gun?

Is there a Brand of 209 primer that you feel is better for Muzzleloaders? I know i have a few Hundred Fed 209A Primers, i have used them in a Magspark 209 Adapter for Sidelock, I do this when Clearing/Cleaning the Breech of any possible Excess oil. The Fed 209A Primers are Dirty, They will start sticking in this Magspark after 5-6 if I don’t clean the Crud out of the Magspark. I only do the Procedure above to prepare a Sidelock to Hunt, And Primer Foul the Bore.

I can probably get any Brand of 209 i want over at North 40, Which should i go with?
In a Knight I really do prefer the W 209. The breech plug is designed around the W209 and shoots BH and all other powders very.

Spent primers from one of my Knights

O you are going to have to make yourself a "bit on stick" to clean the flash channel in the BP.

You need a long 'bit on a stick' for the range that way you never have to remove the BP - just take out the bolt and twist the stick with a 5/32" bit glued in the stick

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-27-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL I sort of knew this thread was coming. I was "reading between the lines" and knew you were itching for one. I'm happy for you and I hope you fair well with your new muzzy.

Last edited by bronko22000; 06-29-2019 at 06:57 AM.