Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Western Shoot in the Rock Pit >

Western Shoot in the Rock Pit

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Western Shoot in the Rock Pit

Old 06-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Western Shoot in the Rock Pit

It was a great morning for shooting, cloudy cool and very little wind. I really needed to take advantage of that.

I shot the Western DISC a week or so ago and really was not liking what I had to do to hit a 100 yard bird. I much rather 2.75 to 3" PBR at 100 versus being dead on. Last week I had to put the bead in the bird to get a hit ++++ when I got home last week and started cleaning the rifle I found the elevation/windage bar was loose on the sight and the bolt handle was hitting the windage bar when you lifted the bolt.

So I made the modification on the sight so the bolt handle would clear the windage bar. Really easy thing to do - then used Alum Black to make it look new.

This is the modification I need to make

When I got set up at the Rock I took my first shot holding the bead just below the bird. And sure enough that is exactly where the bullet hit! Raised the sight 8 clicks - held slightly below the bird and now all is right for me. Eight shots - 6 birds and one bird chip. The best shot, for me was at the end of shooting the birds I spotted a small chip just @ 1 o'clock above the placement of the birds. I really wanted to touch that chip. I spotted it fairly well in the peep and held an estimated 3" inches below the chip. Took the shot - no visible chip any longer. But, I was just a bit low - I blew the soil up under the chip but did not really hit the chip. When I clean the rifle I am going to move the elevation up another 2 clicks.

This a group of pictures of the adventure this morning....

Tailgate work bench

A blurry picture of the modified peep

Old 06-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like fun Mike!! That little aperture you have in your Williams Peep would be TOUGH on me, I much prefer the Larger Williams 1” Target Aperture, I will bring 1 of Mine Down for you to Try, I ended up putting them on all of my Peep setups. They REALLY help with peripheral distraction.

Here is 1 on my Old MK-85, This one i opened for a Hunting Peep, i prefer the little .050 Stock peep Hole for Target Shooting

Last edited by Idaholewis; 06-22-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Geez! that is a huge aperture!!! I have bigger ones but nothing that big! I did not really like the big ones so I stayed with this size. Although my NECG has one a little larger...

You can see the larger one that I have use here...

I also use a larger diameter peep hole for hunting to gather more light - early in the morning or into the evening. you can see the oversized peep hole in this pic.

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-22-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

You probably won’t like these then, You sound a lot like My Dad, He dislikes ALL of my Sight setups, But he also understands why i am able to shoot them so well. My Dad is geared 99.9% around hunting, He might target shoot 2-3 times a year. On the other hand, i am WAY more Bench/Target tho i LIVE and LOVE to Hunt, I burn LOTS of Blackpowder, and send unknown pounds of Lead in Sand Banks around here I even started Re claiming my Lead so i could Shoot it again
Old 07-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like you had fun. I really like the small peep for target shooting but when I am hunting most of the time I have the aperature in my pocket and use it as a ghost ring. It works really well like that for me as my shot are rarely over 50 yards and I can get on target fast. It small aperature is quickly screwed in though if a farther shot presents itself or it is bright out.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Looks like you had fun. I really like the small peep for target shooting but when I am hunting most of the time I have the aperature in my pocket and use it as a ghost ring. It works really well like that for me as my shot are rarely over 50 yards and I can get on target fast. It small aperature is quickly screwed in though if a farther shot presents itself or it is bright out.
Yes, exactly what you have described... I do not have that option with the NECG peep but the ap is large enough it does function in low light.

In this case the aperture actually hold the elevation in place.

Actually, I really want to run to the Rock Pit and shoot this rifle in the morning make a few booms to celebrate the 4th. I wanted to do some distance shooting at the farm but I looked and both the wheat and the garbanzo beans are to dang tall to see the birds...

mike