HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Western Shoot in the Rock Pit
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 01:25 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default Western Shoot in the Rock Pit

It was a great morning for shooting, cloudy cool and very little wind. I really needed to take advantage of that.

I shot the Western DISC a week or so ago and really was not liking what I had to do to hit a 100 yard bird. I much rather 2.75 to 3" PBR at 100 versus being dead on. Last week I had to put the bead in the bird to get a hit ++++ when I got home last week and started cleaning the rifle I found the elevation/windage bar was loose on the sight and the bolt handle was hitting the windage bar when you lifted the bolt.

So I made the modification on the sight so the bolt handle would clear the windage bar. Really easy thing to do - then used Alum Black to make it look new.

This is the modification I need to make

When I got set up at the Rock I took my first shot holding the bead just below the bird. And sure enough that is exactly where the bullet hit! Raised the sight 8 clicks - held slightly below the bird and now all is right for me. Eight shots - 6 birds and one bird chip. The best shot, for me was at the end of shooting the birds I spotted a small chip just @ 1 o'clock above the placement of the birds. I really wanted to touch that chip. I spotted it fairly well in the peep and held an estimated 3" inches below the chip. Took the shot - no visible chip any longer. But, I was just a bit low - I blew the soil up under the chip but did not really hit the chip. When I clean the rifle I am going to move the elevation up another 2 clicks.

This a group of pictures of the adventure this morning....

Tailgate work bench

A blurry picture of the modified peep