HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Just So You Know - Testing a New #11 Nipple
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Idaholewis
Fork Horn

Looks Good Mike! It is nice to see that Lehigh is making these Nipples with Enough Flash Hole Diameter To reliably ignite the Sub Powders without having to be Modified when Brand new (A lot of guy’s don’t understand this, and it is EXTREMELY important!!), I have always Spoke VERY highly of the Treso/Ampco’s and Stil do, I shoot Real Blackpowder Exclusively (Swiss 2 and 3F) And have NEVER had any issues Whatsoever, I get IMMEDIATE Ignition. But the Guy’s Shooting the Substitute Powders have to Open these Treso/Ampcos up about .003-.004 right out of the Package or they will get CONSISTENT Hangfires, The Treso/Ampco’s tiny .028 Flash Hole is Just to Small to Reliably Set off the Sub Powders.
As you know there is a Fine line here when opening a nipple up, About .035-.036 and you are getting REALLY Close to Going Halfcock (Sidelock Muzzleloader) When a Nipple gets to .035ish I consider them Ready to be Replaced. TC’s Old Hotshots were on the LARGE side New, they Measure right at .035, the few i have Measured. I didn’t like them for my use, Idahoron Has used them for years with good luck So i sent what i had of them to Him.

Good for Lehigh to get a new No. 11 Nipple on the Market, I have high hopes for it being Super Durable!