Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Recreation @ the Dinger Farm >

Recreation @ the Dinger Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Recreation @ the Dinger Farm

Old 05-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Recreation @ the Dinger Farm

Had a few minutes this morning to burn so I decided to head out to the farm and do some shooting. All this hoping that Marty was not farming this morning!!?? The rifle I had planned to use this fall during regular rifle deer season here in Idaho was my Knight Ulite Nitride 50 cal. I have a 3x9x42 Redfield Revenge with the Accu-Ranger reticule mounted on the rifle. I shot this rifle a lot in late winter and have it already sighted in for my fall deer hunting. Lehigh Dave, in answer to several requests, about a bullet that would load in some of the very tight 50 cal. bores decided to make and offer a .451 bullet. He also, I think, was fielding some questions about his (saboted) bullets that might also be shot in a slow twist barrel. His new bullet served both requests - a .451x230CF-HP.
I received some of the bullets and the first thing I wanted to try - will they really shoot from a 1/48 twist barrel? They do!
Next, I tried them in a Knight Mountaineer and a Knight Nitride Ulite. They shot outstanding! After getting sighted in I also shot them through a chrono to work up a Ballistic Sheet.
After doing this ballistic sheet - I had decided I really didn't need a FT 45 for hunting - Idaho will not let you hunt elk with a 45 anyway. So I sold 2 of my three FT twist 45's.Now that Lehigh Dave has created the sabotless .458x260CF-HP, I am now having second thoughts about using a FT 45 for deer hunting during regular rifle season.
This is a composite picture of this mornings fun shoot. Nothing had changed since I put the rifle away last winter. Still sighted right on and the 5 birds payed the price....

When farmer Marty moves his walk-about tractor - I will be able to stretch the range to 200 yards
Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you can use a sabot in your 50 during the General season n a scope. Sounds like a winner on yer set up
Old 05-13-2019, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
So you can use a sabot in your 50 during the General season n a scope. Sounds like a winner on yer set up
Correct during the General Rifle season.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

So lets see if I got this straight. You can't use a .45 caliber muzzleloader for elk in ID but you can use a .50 cal that shoots a .451" bullet with a sabot? But I bet you can use a .45-70 CF rifle for elk. That absolutely makes no sense. Who in the world makes up these rules?
BTW that's some nice shooting with the Rene.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
So lets see if I got this straight. You can't use a .45 caliber muzzleloader for elk in ID but you can use a .50 cal that shoots a .451" bullet with a sabot?
Yep... but this is during rifle season. During ML season we have to use a lead conical and again no 45 for an Elk!

But I bet you can use a .45-70 CF rifle for elk.
Sure you can.. you can use a 30-30!!!

Sure That absolutely makes no sense. Who in the world makes up these rules?
BTW that's some nice shooting with the Rene.
What they are trying to do is create very basic rules that will apply to PRB shooters also. A guy out there with a 45 cal PRB shooting at elk - might not be very successful.

We, Idaho, is still driven by the Traditionalist lobby. They still have a big voice!