Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Nitride 50 @ the Farm >

Nitride 50 @ the Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nitride 50 @ the Farm

Old 05-31-2019, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Nitride 50 @ the Farm

FINALLY!!! Marty is done farming the shooting range @ the Dinger farm, so I did get to shoot this morning. It was brief shooting for two reason... it got hot quicker than I thought it would and the planting pattern some what screwed up the shooting range :dunno: It actually is not Marty's problem he does one heck of a job farming the land.
I did go out to the farm with a couple of intentions - 1. to shoot the Nitride Knight and 2. I really wanted to shoot some 150 birds. But! a couple of problems came into perspective quickly! When I got there I ranged the edge of the garbanzo field and I could get some 150 yard shots in. NORMALLY for the longer shots we can shoot directly up the draw but this year most of the bottom of the draw is planted to wheat. The wheat is so tall I can not see the birds. Next time out I am just going to have to go to stand up elevated target to get longer range shooting in.Anyway, I did get some 100 yard shooting in and it was really fun just to get to shoot again.
This is the rifle I was shooting from my old portable bench... I will use this rifle with scope and 209 ignition during our regular rifle season here in Idaho.

Here is a collection of pics from the shoot this morning

My one claim of 'good' I did get one heart shot...

Then you can see two other birds were hit just slightly high on the upper edge and one was low on the bottom edge of the bird and destroyed most of it.This was the bullet I was using... The more I shoot this the more impressed I am with it. It will shoot from a slow twist 1/48 twist and the faster 50 twist of 1/28.

And as Jeff of Bestill Creations has suggested - it sure is nice to have the headspace correct and the breech clean after shooting. These are my spent primers.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a BUNCH of fun Mr Sabotloader!! I just shot 1 of these Rifles Yesterday, I am stil in Awe over that Rifle! To say i was impressed with it would be a HUGE understatement!!! I could go on n on over it, But I’ll save it For Video Footage of the Mountaineer i plan to Own Soon These rifles speak for themselves, They just need somebody behind the Recoil pad to Drive them!

I would really like to make a Trip down and Shoot with you 1 day this Summer, Hopefully we can make that happen! Try and find a Day forecast wise that looks Decent and go with it. I would Love to Shoot 1 of your .50 U Lites!!

Last edited by Idaholewis; 05-31-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 54bore
Looks like a BUNCH of fun Mr Sabotloader!! I just shot 1 of these Rifles in .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Yesterday, I am stil in Awe over that Rifle! To say i was impressed with it would be a HUGE understatement!!! I could go on n on over it, But I’ll save it For Video Footage of the Mountaineer i plan to Own Soon These rifles speak for themselves, They just need somebody behind the Recoil pad to Drive them!

I got to tell you I was in total suspense waiting for one of you gets to call and give a report on your thoughts. I could tell in the parking lot how well you thought it felt when you would pop it to your shoulder and just smile. I lost track after you popped it up 3-4 times. Don't think Chet got a chance until much later, but he is Knight owner so he already knew he would like it.

I figured that you guys were going to rush back up to Priest River and at least shoot it - and probably sight it in.... never figured you would be testing it to 200 yards right out of the box! [

I would really like to make a Trip down and Shoot with you 1 day this Summer, Hopefully we can make that happen! Try and find a Day forecast wise that looks decent and go with it. I would Love to Shoot 1 of your .50 U Lites!!
That would be cool if you wanted to drive down. I always enjoy shooting with somebody. Hopefully between our working and the weather we could get a calendar date set and get it down. Also you would be able to see and feel this Nitride version and it cleans up even easier than the stainless steel rifle even shooting T7

This is a Knight Super DISC 45 with 1/20 twist - it is much like the new Mountaineer you could even shoot that one and see what you think.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure be finer than frog hair, keep on shooting
Old 06-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Sure be finer than frog hair, keep on shooting
We are well into ground squirrel season here - will be switching to a Savage 17 HMR rifle and spending a few hours in the meadow country and fairly new clear cuts...
Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Mike, I would LOVE to shoot that 1:20 Super Disc!!!

Everyone that knows me, Knows i am a Dedicated Fast Twist Sidelock Guy, The inlines have never really impressed me to speak of, The Ole White S91 and Knight MK Are AWESOME Rifles NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, but i just couldn’t Grow a Love for them (My Brother Chet now owns Both ) Then i go and shoot Chet’s new U Lite, That Rifle Changed me!! For me to get impressed over something in Guns takes something pretty Darn Cool, Knight’s U Lite is a WHOLE LOT of Cool!! I just had a Phone Conversation with a Forum member from MM last night over the U Lite, He asked if i really felt it was that much better than the Plunger Guns? NO COMPARISON I explained!! They simply cannot Be Compared, that is a VERY unfair comparison. This member is now talking of Buying a New U Lite, Or Mountaineer

While i fell in LOVE with the U Lite, I am confident The Mountaineer will be a better fit for me, for what i plan to do (Bench/Target, Long Range) It is HIGHLY possible i will own a U Lite someday as Well I would hunt through Regular Firearm season with a Muzzleloader like these, they are that good!!