Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OT -- Shooter Bath >

OT -- Shooter Bath

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT -- Shooter Bath

Old 06-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default OT -- Shooter Bath

Old 06-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL...That's what ya get for picking on those poor innocent jugs!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

So next time out, i rotated the front bottle, and aimed for the cap. The 124g HST stopped in the second bottle, not quite half way. The weird thing is the hole into the second bottle kinda sealed itself, and it held water until i moved it. The bullet was visible inside the second bottle, and it still held water. Kinda stumped me for a bit. One can see the cap flying out off to my right.

_
Old 06-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Beautiful place you have to shoot Ron. Any problems with snakes or ticks?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not this year. What you see is an open park in the mountains. It is not quite a mile high where the shooting took place.. Never have seen a rattlesnake up there ever. Out on the prairie one can stumble into a rattler now and again. Two golf players have been bitten by rattlesnake this year, the older fella died. Have seen only one tick this year; seems weird. Years past, younger, and stronger, i guess, i walked more in timber, and came home quite often with ticks. The dam things don't seem to like the way i taste; they keep looking for a better spot, and end up tasting me several times before they start to burrow. Dam bites itch for a month.

When i was in junior high we lived out about 3 mile or so from the foothills into the prairie. We watched out for rattlers all the time whenever we stepped out. One never knew. Dam things would be under the porch, and curled up in other shady spots, by the wheel barrow and mower, and such. Baby rattlers would come visit the lobby of the bowling alley where i set pins, for some weird reason; we played with them when business was slow. Mean little suckers they were. .When we hiked up into the foothills, seeking timber, we were careful all the time. Never killed one. Been close many times; figured karma saved me more than once. After shooting without protection, and being a carpenter; a rattler sounds like wind to me, and i don't pick up on the fact i am too close very quickly.

Tried eating a rattler once; never made that mistake again; tasted like the fishiest awfullest fish one could ever eat. Makes me shudder just to think about it.

We always have snakes around the house right now, but no rattlers, and very very very few ticks..
Old 06-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Ha! I will eat no snake in my life time! They say its good but I don't see how.... I haven't seen a tick this year yet. We are super wet this year so far, I have never seen rain like it has been this year, over 10" so far for June an its not over yet. We need to dry out an I'm afraid it will be dry by the fall like other years.
Thanks for your time an video's we appreciate them!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very rainy here too. Shooting water bottles is something all us kids should do.

_
Old 06-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Off topic I know but exactly where did you kill the fishy tasting rattler? I've eaten rattle snake, both diamondback and timber, many times and found it most resembled rabbit in flavor but certainly not texture. Not fishy at all. Not even a hint of fishy. Unlike frog legs and gator. I am assuming the rattlers I have eaten mostly fed on mice and rabbit.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ate the snake at the Reptile Gardens in Rapid City, SD. Didn't kill it; assume it died whilst on display. Assume it was fed mostly mice; maybe chicks. Am sure the folks that served it did their best to make it palatable, but it wasn't to my liking at all. Did like eating rabbit; haven't for years since i was a teenager. Do like eating doe deer. Do like eating cow or spike elk. Do like eating antelope of any age or sex. Buck deer taste awful, and smell awful in the kitchenl. Big Bull or rag horn bull taste good, but chew like a boot. Big antelope bucks taste. and chew as good as doe, or young buck; one of the things that has always amazed me. Bull moose are tough; calf moose are delicious. Have tried different bear cooked different way, have no need to ever taste bear again! Enjoy fishing for, catching Walleye, and eating them. Nothing is as good as fresh garden vegetables. Oranges purchased at a road side stand in Arizona are indescribably good. Fresh picked wild huckleberries are wonderful. Wild raspberries aren't too bad.

Just my opinion is all.

_