Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Toby at it again : >

Toby at it again :

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Toby at it again :

Old 05-01-2018, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Toby at it again :

He is just a talking head . For example his latest article , while informative and interesting definitely has an agenda .
Article here :http://namlhunt.com/knight52caliber-2.html
A quote from that article that shows he is incorrect :

You would think that the folks at Knight Rifles would have learned from other rifle makers' mistakes. Years ago, the White Rifles line did indeed have a chance to become a major player in the modern in-line muzzleloader market ... and the company built some fine rifles. What kind of killed that line was ... you had to shoot their bullets ... since the bores of their rifles were purposely built a bit over size. Their .45 was .451 caliber, their .50 was .502 caliber. So, for most shooters across the country, to shoot these rifles meant ordering their bullets from White Rifles. One COULD NOT walk into just about any gun shop and pick up some fodder for those rifles

White was not .502 they are .504 and that is not what killed White as a company . Gee Toby get your facts straight . But there is an agenda
Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

He also neglects to mention MANY Savage MLIIs and the MDMs also had large bores but somehow tons of people figured out how to shoot them. Lets not forget TB was a huge Savage supporter for many years and should be very well of this fact. He also had a MDM and even mentions the large bore in an article.

Pretty common for a 45cal to run .451-.452. Probably more common than a true .450.

Obviously he is not very good at simple math either. He claims 121fps difference twice.
Back when i was working to establish some "pluses" and "minuses" of the .52 rifles ... I found that the stemmed plug did give me a 121 f.p.s. higher velocity.

My chronographing with the same rifle and load averaged 1,924 f.p.s. (with around 3,075 f.p.e.). With the standard "non-stemmed" DISC Extreme breech plug installed in the same rifle, the load was good for 1,903 f.p.s. - 121 f.p.s. slower than with the stemmed plug.
My best advice to TB is quit advocating HUGE loads of BH209. This isnt the first time ive seen him post potentially dangerous load data that exceeds Western's, CVA's and Tradition's limits.
This same load out of a 30-inch barreled break-open .50 caliber in-line, like the Traditions LDR models or the CVA Accura V2 LR, in cool weather is good for 2,082 f.p.s. - and 2,886 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. (Yes, cooler temperatures tend to equate to slightly faster velocities with saboted bullets.) A 130-grain charge of Blackhorn 209 out of these longer barreled in-line rifles pushes velocity to around 2,110 f.p.s., with around 2,970 f.p.e. - and 140-grains of the powder takes velocity to around 2,135 f.p.s. - and energy to 3,036 f.p.e.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can remember when he shot nothing but a PRB and killed just as many animals.