Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Not so fast - T/C fumbles, sent defective barrel >

Not so fast - T/C fumbles, sent defective barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not so fast - T/C fumbles, sent defective barrel

Old 10-31-2003, 07:45 PM

Default Not so fast - T/C fumbles, sent defective barrel

See " I stripped a hole..." for the beginning of this saga. The trick is on me.

I took the box from T/C down to the shop when I got home from work today. My first impression was that T/C doesn’t package their barrels with much care. The packaging consisted of a piece of plastic foam around the front sight and single layer of bubble wrap around the breech, covering the trigger assembly. All of this bouncing around in a box with some more blocks of plastic foam and cardboard wedges, not much to it at all.

I remove the plastic foam from around the front sight and inspect, it looks OK. I remove the bubble wrap and my first thought is disbelief. How could someone package a barrel with a missing trigger? There is no trigger in the trigger guard. A closer look reveals that the trigger is broken off at the point it enters the trigger guard. The T/C repair shop promptly sent me a replacement barrel, yeah, a defective replace barrel, a barrel with a broken trigger. I put the barrel down, I pick it up and look again, yep… T/C shipped me a replacement barrel with a broken trigger. I look though the bubble wrap and the box for the broken off trigger, not there. I take out the packing slip and hand written on it is “Replaced bbl. Laser Sighted. 10-24-03” it’s signed only “Brian”.

What I also find interesting is the serial number of the replacement barrel is 3354 less than the serial of my original barrel. I’d think a replacement barrel would have a serial number higher than the original barrel (newer manufacture?).

How can the T/C repair shop ship a replacement barrel with a broken trigger? It’s their job to fix broken barrels, not to ship obviously broken barrels; there’s no trigger in the trigger guard for crying out loud. How can a gunsmith or shipping clerk miss that. Right? I don’t get it, I just don’t get it. Talk about a let down.

Now I have the pleasure of writing another letter to T/C asking for another hopefully non-defective replacement barrel. And I get to make a trip to the local UPS office tomorrow morning to ship back the package I received today. Oh, I get to spend another 10-15 $ in shipping and insurance.

My only mistake… buying a T/C Omega. I’m out the $450+ for a gun I haven’t shot, the $200 for the scope I haven’t mounted, the $80 for the Maxima base and scope rings, $50 for the powder and bullets I haven’t shot, and the 2 weeks plus waiting for T/C to get their act together and send me useable replacement barrel.

Maybe I’ll ask them to send me my original barrel, at least it had a trigger. I could always just use the open sights.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Not so fast - T/C fumbles, sent defective barrel

Picture of trigger guard. Notice the absence of the trigger.

Old 10-31-2003, 08:13 PM

T/C barrel packaging standards.

Old 10-31-2003, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Wow I can' t believe that from t/c for what they charge for guns that isn' t good customer service.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:43 PM

Close-up of where the trigger broke off. When it broke off is anybodys guess. Maybe its a barrel somebody else sent in for replacement. Who knows?

Old 10-31-2003, 08:50 PM

Packing slip with serial numbers and my personal info. digitally blacked out.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:51 PM

Here' s the pack slip.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:05 PM

My first letter to T/C.

October 16, 2003
Thompson/Center Arms Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 5002
Rochester, New Hampshire 03866

Dear Sirs,
I recently purchased a new T/C Omega muzzleloader. The gun I purchased has a laminated stock and a stainless steel barrel. Last evening when I was installing a scope base on the barrel the third hole up from the breech stripped out.
Here’s what happened. Last evening, when backing out the third fill-in screw I noticed that it was a little rough coming out compared to the first, second and fourth fill-in screws (they came out easily). I checked the fit of all the scope base screws in all the holes prior to mounting the base. The base screws went into the first, second and fourth holes very easily, but the third hole required a little more force. At the time I really didn’t think much of it other than the threads in the third hole were rough, perhaps the tap used during the manufacture of the barrel was at the end of its lifespan and the tap just left the threads rough.
I put blue Loctite on each base screw and installed the base. Before I even had the base screws semi-snug, the third hole stripped out. I was surprised and upset when this happened. I continued tightening the other three screws until they were quite snug.
This morning I called customer service and was referred to the repair department. A gentleman in the repair department advised me that Thompson/Center Arms would replace the barrel. His exact words were “We don’t dink around with bad threads, we replace the barrel.” He also indicated that all I needed to do was send the barrel in and Thompson Center would promptly send me back a replacement barrel that would fit my stock. To that end I have included the stainless steel barrel from my gun (which by the way I never shot). Please send me a replacement stainless steel barrel as soon as possible. Hunting season is fast approaching and I’d like to get my new Omega sighted in prior to opening day.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I am confident I will receive a replacement barrel in a timely manner.
Sincerely,

Bugs11
Old 10-31-2003, 10:08 PM

My second and hopefully last letter to T/C.

October 31, 2003
Thompson/Center Arms Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 5002
Rochester, New Hampshire 03866

Dear Sirs,
I recently sent a defective barrel (serial number Sxxxxx) back to T/C for replacement. Please see the attached letter for information and circumstances concerning the defect that was manufactured into my original barrel. Today I received the replacement barrel (serial number Syyyyy). Please refer to the attached photocopy of the packaging slip for information concerning shipment of the replacement barrel. I am returning the replacement barrel because, unfortunately, the replacement barrel is also defective; the trigger is broken off. I did not find the broken trigger anywhere in the shipping box. The trigger was broken prior to packaging and shipment.
Please ship to me as soon as possible a new production, functioning barrel. Please have a qualified gunsmith inspect the barrel (including the trigger assembly and scope holes) prior to shipment. I would also ask that Thompson/Center reimburse me my cost of shipping these defective barrels back to Thompson/Center. The original barrel was manufactured with the scope hole defect and the replacement barrel was shipped to me with a broken trigger. I did not cause the defects, I never shot either barrel, yet I have to pay for the shipping back to Thompson/Center. My continually paying for shipping to Thompson/Center is not fair or right.
I am very disappointed in the quality of Thompson/Centers customer service. The fact that Thompson/Center shipped an obviously defective replacement barrel is extremely disturbing. I originally purchased the Omega because of all the good things I had heard about the gun and the company behind the gun, Thompson/Center.
In reality, my experience has been less than enjoyable. The reason I bought the Omega was because I wanted a muzzle-loader with a scope. I can’t use the Omega I purchased because the company that built it can’t provide me with a functioning barrel. I can’t use the Maxima scope mount and rings I purchased. I can’t use the scope I bought. I can’t use the bullets or powder I bought. I have no barrel. And now I may not have use of the gun for the very hunting season I bought the gun for.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I’m anxiously waiting for the arrival of a new production, functioning barrel.
Sincerely,
Bugs11
P.S. I will be calling customer service first thing Monday morning, Nov. 3.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:10 AM

I kept up with your other thread and was happy for you that everything turned out good in the end (or it appeared).

Sorry to hear T/C let you down. I' ve owned a T/C muzzleloader for close to 20 years now and have had minimal problems from it. It still is a good quality product and shoots like it did when I first bought it. I' ve never had to deal with the company itself however and I may be purchasing a new muzzleloader in the next year or two.

It' s good to hear these stories, so others can make better informed purchases in the future. Not sure if I' ll go with T/C or not. It depends on how your story turns out. I still have to give them the benefit of the doubt though. The original barrel and the repaired/refurbished/or replacement barrel they sent are probably from two different sections of T/C. One section produces and manufactures new muzzleloaders. The other deals with repairs/replacement.

Sounds like both sections shipped barrels with defects. I would think they would get it right this time and refund your shipping costs as well.

I know hunting season is around the corner and hope you get your rifle back in time.

As a thought, $54 can buy you a back-up muzzleloader at Wal-Mart. It' s not the greatest thing, but could allow you to hunt the M/L season this year if T/C falls again.

Good luck on your dealings with T/C! I' ll be watching to see how things turned out.

Thunder

Quick Reply: Not so fast - T/C fumbles, sent defective barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.