Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ruger 77/50 Trigger Issue >

Ruger 77/50 Trigger Issue

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ruger 77/50 Trigger Issue

Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger 77/50 Trigger Issue

So I bought a Ruger 77/50 from a friend a few days ago. I took apart to clean it, cleaned the barrel, pulled the pin out of the sear and cleaned it out all around that and the bolt stop, etc. Just gave it an overall cleaning, put it back together and every time I close the bolt it fires. I've read the threads about the sear wearing on these especially with the 209 kit installed, but this still has the breech plug for #11 caps.

Anyway, I took it back out of the stock to see what was going on and when it is out of the stock it works perfectly. I can close the bolt as hard as I want and it doesn't trip the trigger. Once I put it back in the stock and tighten the rear stock screw down it starts having the issue again. If I leave the rear stock screw loose it works perfectly as well, but once I snug it back down the issue starts. I don't see the stock pushing on the trigger anywhere, so I'm just at a complete loss. Does this sound like the common issue with the sear on these, or do you all have any other suggestions? It's leading me to believe it's not the sear since it works fine out of the stock. The only sear I can find for sale is the Timney for $45, so I hate to spend that much just to test it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

l don't own one, but would suggest taking it to a good gunsmith to look over. That's what I would do!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
So I bought a Ruger 77/50 from a friend a few days ago. I took apart to clean it, cleaned the barrel, pulled the pin out of the sear and cleaned it out all around that and the bolt stop, etc. Just gave it an overall cleaning, put it back together and every time I close the bolt it fires. I've read the threads about the sear wearing on these especially with the 209 kit installed, but this still has the breech plug for #11 caps.

Anyway, I took it back out of the stock to see what was going on and when it is out of the stock it works perfectly. I can close the bolt as hard as I want and it doesn't trip the trigger. Once I put it back in the stock and tighten the rear stock screw down it starts having the issue again. If I leave the rear stock screw loose it works perfectly as well, but once I snug it back down the issue starts. I don't see the stock pushing on the trigger anywhere, so I'm just at a complete loss. Does this sound like the common issue with the sear on these, or do you all have any other suggestions? It's leading me to believe it's not the sear since it works fine out of the stock. The only sear I can find for sale is the Timney for $45, so I hate to spend that much just to test it. Any advice would be appreciated.
It really sounds like you have an 'inletting' problem. When you put it in the stock something is putting pressure on the trigger assembly. Inspect the stock in the area that the trigger drops in to. You might be able to see some 'wear' marks on the interior of the stock.