Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Acquisition!!! >

New Acquisition!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Acquisition!!!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by toytruck
You only have a 70gr. maximum recommended load for that pistol. I went with the CVA Optima V2 pistol with 100gr. max. I shoot 80gr of BH209 in her, super accurate for a 14" barrel, but hold on tight!!!
That doesn't bother me on the 70 gr. restriction. I don't have that, "Mine is bigger then yours" syndrome!! I have killed deer in a sidelock with a 65gr. charge before. Plus here in Virginia the woods are really thick and a 75 yd shot is considered long range!

But remember, the length of the barrel pretty much controls the amount of powder effectively used, burned. I'm sure that the 100gr. charge in that CVA doesn't all get burned in the barrel and a good portion goes lining on the ground!!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

A guy that goes by Busta on another board shoots a 200gr bullet in a 50x40 sabot in his CVA Optima Pistol. Considering the fps limitations, a 40cal 200gr XTP sounds like a good fun load with the potential for smacking deer also. Busta shoots a 200gr SST over 80gr IIRC.

You could surely do the same thing with 50x45 sabots and some cheap 45ACP bullets too for recreation.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Speer 210 grain Gold Dot could be 'perfect' for the new hand gun for deer hunting??

_
Old 01-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be happy with one that was smaller. Such as a 45cal 1-20 using just a 350gr conical and about 60gr of powder

That would be all kinds of fun and more powerful than a 44mag
Old 01-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

I have the same pistol and like the wood.I shoot Pyrodex 50-50 pellets cause I have a lot of em on hand.I shoot round balls thru it and luv shootin it bare back.I never had a interest in the CVA cause it don,t come in wood and does not come with sites.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 AM
Typical Buck

just picked up the scope rail mount by traditions & put it on & now searching for the scope. may possibly put a red dot on it not sure yet.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The Speer 210 grain Gold Dot could be 'perfect' for the new hand gun for deer hunting??

Actually we used this bullet in my service gun as duty ammo. But would this bullet be any better then the XTP? And what sabot would I use?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Between the GD and the XTP for your pistol ML rafsob, I'd have to give the nod to the GD. The XTP is an excellent bullet not to mention it's the only saboted bullet that will shoot out of my Renegade worth a damn, that GD will be perfectly suited to shoot out of that pistol length barrel for one, and the GD's tend to penetrate quite well and retain most, if not all, of their weight. I haven't tested expansion on either in quite some time but my memory seems to be telling me that the GD's had excellent reliability on expansion at a wider range of velocities. But it really boils down to which bullet shoots the most accurate from your pistol as either are quality deer slayers.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My department tested the GD bullet on penetration and jacket retention through different media to include 3/4” plywood and car windshields. The bullet was amazing. So I would say the bullet comes highly rated in that respect. Now I need to verify the accuracy of the two bullets!!!

Been using and killing many deer over the years with the Hornaday XTP. So the GD has a lot to prove. But it will be fun!!!