Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabotless .45

Old 12-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default sabotless .45

Hi guys
I learned lots of things out here so my turn to contribute. For the benefits of others I would like to share with you an experimentation and the results.

After reading many post about sabotless shooting I decided to give it a try.

Components are:
Knight DISC .45 (first gen)
Parker Ballistic Extreme in 275gr
BH209
Regular sabot… yes at first I thought it may be better to have some kind of a wad so I clipped petals and kept the base only.

First I shot 100gr vol with and with-out wad. I got better accuracy with-out wad so I decide to go this route.

Second try as been with 120gr Vol. Bingo, it shoot ¾’’ groups back to back at 110yds. I stretched it to 200yds and it kept the same accuracy, printing a 2’’ group.

Fast forward, now time to hunt the late season and get some meet. I had a chance on a good size doe quartering away at 215yds. It was my last day so I decided to take the shot.

I can’t be happier with the outcomes. Braking 2 ribs on its way in, drills both longs, top of the heart and 1 rib going out in the shoulder area. It was not a past true so I expect to find the bullet in a muscle.

Deer ran lest then 30 feet with massive blood loss.

I think I am a new sabotlees fan!

The only other bullet going in my bore is Barnes bullets. I have TMZ and MZ, is anybody have try these?

Cheers
Old 12-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Salar, If I were you, I would add the Nosler 300gr BT on that list. I've been getting ridiculous accuracy from them out of the SML but I do full size them. I haven't as of yet tried smooth bore sizing them out of it. They do an excellent job on Caribou at 200 yards and out of my SML they print well within 5 inches at 300 yards. For shots under 200 yards I would also recommend Lehigh 220gr. Those shot very well out to 200 but at 250 they started to open up the groups pretty far. I've become a fan of full sizing but I have been researching a lot on this very subject and have found a lot of folks get by quite well with smooth sizing for proper land riding bullets. Since no bullet manufacturers seem to be able to have perfect conformity, a good sizing die is an essential tool for sabotless shooting. Either full form or smooth.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Spike

Nosler BT isn'it .458''?

What sizing die would you suggest?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need a full form die to size 458s and that requires part of your barrel to make the die. The other option is to size a 458 down to .452 and then use a smooth sizing die.

Both Hankins Rifle and Swinglock offer both types of adjustable sizing dies for around $140-160 in smooth. A little more for full form.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have both the smooth and full from Swinglock. The one from Hankins isn't adjustable. The Swinglock version can be adjusted in .0005 increments. The adjustability is needed for when you run across that lot of bullets that are a little larger or smaller. Or when the fouling doesn't allow for ease of loading with full form. I haven't tried any of this with BP or subs yet. Just smokeless. So I am still at the beginning of the learning curve. What I do see is a very high increase in accuracy and consistency but it did take a little practice in getting the adjustments just right for my particular barrel. Oh and yes the Nosler 300bt is a .458 which you will need if you are going to use full form. The smooth you can use .452 or size down a .458. When using a smooth sized, I would recommend a card or a bullet base which you figured out already. Full form doesn't need anything.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

What's the rate of twist on that Knight DISC Salar600?

Have any of you guys tried sabotless in a Green Mountain 1:30 twist .45 barrel?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the info.

Semi - Did my best to measured it and I think it is 1:30