Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
granulars of powder >

granulars of powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

granulars of powder

Old 11-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Spike

Default granulars of powder

I shot my Mountaineer last weekend, ran about 10 shots through it before it got dark. It seemed to take 3 shots to settle some what. 1st shot on a clean barrel and then the next 5 was on a fouled barrel no swabbing. 2nd and 3rd was high about 1 inch, 4th was dead center 5th was a flyer high and right about 5 inches and the 6th was stacked with the 4th. Not sure what happened on the 5th one I didn't feel like I pulled or done anything out of the ordinary. I then cleaned the gun completely to do another 3 shot group just like I would hunting. Popped 2 caps loaded and shot the three shot group. 1st was 1in low and slightly right next two was 1.5 inches high and split the center (probably me).

My question is when I took it down to clean again I noticed 2 granules of powder, what causes the incomplete burn? Not enough seating pressure? My load was 90 grains volume BH209 with 250 grain Hornady xtp. and CCI 209 Primers. What do you think would cause one to not group?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

zmason it could be a number of things. Your shooting technique, warm barrel, inconsistent seating pressure (loading technique). Way too many things to make a positive determination. Heck, it could even be a scope issue.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Spike

What about unburned powder in the end of the breech plug?
I'm not real worried about the flier since it was just one, but was more curious about what might cause the couple unburned granules. Maybe I'm over thinking it and should be worried but I would like to improve my knowledge and skills with the muzzleloader.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

No 100% complete burn is somewhat normal. Also, Blackhorn likes when the powder is compacted / compressed tightly. I really lean on the ramrod when loading the bullet using Blackhorn powder. I have a ball starter at the end of my ramrod. A T-handle I use sometimes too.

Lastly, with Blackhorn powder, you should use a hotter primer. Buy the CCI 209M primers instead. Or consider switching to either Federal 209A or Winchester Shotgun Primers, not the Winchester 777 primers.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 11-19-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Spike

Okay I made a mistake on the primers I'm using. They where the Winchester 209s. I always heard BH209 needed compressed but I don't think I was compressing it enough. I used the bullet starter and really stood on it and my fouled barrel 3 shot group tightened up to an 1 or less. I'm using TC shockwave 200 grain bullets 90 grains of bh209. After deer season I'm going to work a little more on it. I think some of it is me also. I have bloodline 275 grain bullets I want to work with also and might buy some more this weekend and try them out. The one bloodline I shot, was within an inch of the others so I'll be able to shoot them also. The more I shoot the happier I'm getting lol.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Spike

Also thanks for all the wisdom, I'm learning and with your guys help its been a lot less of a headache. I'm going to try leaving the barrel fouled before deer season this year and just keep the gun dry and see what happens.