Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
grain for deer and ??beear >

grain for deer and ??beear

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

grain for deer and ??beear

Old 07-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
GM I hope you know I was only being sarcastic when I posted this:
Quote:
You most definitely need a premium bonded bullet traveling at hyper speeds to penetrate it!
Obviously and you missed the entire point. A PB is premium priced but fails miserably compared to a true premium class bullet and it does not even compare well to a bullet that is a fraction of the cost.

The simple fact is NOBODY would ever load that kind of soft HP bullet in full power 50 Beowulf or 500S&W for hunting deer or bear. Why in the world some people seem to think it is ok in a ML is beyond me. Muzzle velocity would be extremely close to those two centerfires.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Exactly my point. Why pay a premium price for a sub par bullet? Why use a bullet that you have to load down or it will blow up on shoulder contact? Why use a bullet that, if you have a healthy load, you have to stay off the shoulder? Why advertise a bullet, that is commonly known to fail, for a dangerous game animal? This is my opinion only here but, why flat out lie and say a bullet is tough when it is well known to be just the opposite? There is no such thing as a tough copper washed lead bullet. It just isn't so. I've been making my own bullets for a lot of years. Just over 3 decades to be exact. The lead used in those is a soft alloy. If they were a copper washed harder cast, I would have some more faith in them. But they are pretty close to pure lead on the index. Fine for whitetail, probably fine for elk if you stay off the shoulder, but absolutely not a bullet I would bet my life of for an adult boar bear. If you want to advertise for CVA and powerbelts, more power to you. But lets be a little more thoughtful about recommendations on bullets that will be used for a dangerous game animal. And yes, black bears are very dangerous. They are fast, incredibly powerful, and quite vicious when cornered, injured, or provoked.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Banned

i'll be hunting them with a round ball. They been killin 'em for HUNDREDS of years with them so far.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems strange that an individual would think a 338 grain lead projectile couldn't reliably kill black bear, knowing that 230 grain round ball have been killing black bear for centuries. They say history education is lacking in our schools; perhaps some are ignorant of the facts. The facts are 170g, and 230g prb have been killing black bear successfully, as you write, for HUNDREDS of years. Wouldn't a 338 grain lead bullet do better than a lighter weight round ball?

___
Old 07-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Banned

When did I say a 338gr powerbelt ( assuming? ) wouldnt kill a black bear? The 338 platinum is a beast of a bullet I recall saying.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Yes Ronlaughlin, PRB's have been killing Black Bear for hundreds of years. And I'm sure hundreds of men using PRB's have suffered as well from not penetrating and anchoring that animal. Shot choice is limited when using a weak bullet. That's all I'm saying. And when you are shooting at an animal that can turn around and rip your throat out or crush your scull without much effort at all, then I myself like using a bullet that I know will penetrate well and crush bone. I'm not saying that the 338plat wouldn't kill a Bear. I'm saying I wouldn't trust my life on it's poor record for penetration. It's fairly simple logic that I just don't understand why some on here can't seem to understand. Soft lead, copper washed that can't even be honestly called a jacket, hollow point. Just were in that combination do you see a beast of a bullet? I see a failure waiting to happen myself.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
........... I'm not saying that the 338plat wouldn't kill a Bear. I'm saying I wouldn't trust my life on it's poor record for penetration...............
You don't seem to recognize; the 338 platinum has an good reputation for penetration. You are so biased against cva, you cannot accept it is a good penetrating bullet. This particular bullet works better than some others.

Believe what you wish. If you want to peddle misinformation....fly at it.

---------
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not biased ronlaughlin. I just do my research and go by the thousands of reports. Even our resident CVA and powerbelt advertiser, MountainDevil54, has many posts about the need to load down the 338 platinum. I ran across one of his reports under his Frontier Muzzleloader ID that stated that exact thing. Stay off bone and load 90gr or less for close up shots because of over expansion and poor penetration. I'll try to pull the quote and put it up here. Not 100% sure how to do that but I'll give it a swing.

If you know the area you are hunting very well and have a good idea on the ranges you will be shooting, you'll be able to settle for less powder and get better penetration at shorter distances. Powerbelts are pure lead and like all pure lead conical bullets, pure lead plus high velocity plus close distance shots, often result in an over expanded bullet that has limited penetration, especially once it makes contact with heavy bone. Remember this and try to avoid hard heavy bone shots if the animal is a lot closer than you had planned on it being!
That was a direct quote from him while in the same article he was saying they were fantastic penetrating bullets. Just how can it be a fantastic performing bullet if it penetrates poorly, you have to stay off heavy bone, and you need to load it down for closer range shots? That doesn't add up to a fantastic performing bullet in my book. Or anyone else's with even a small amount of experience. That ads up to a sub par, not even close to a premium bullet. Now if you want to continue arguing about their poor performance, go right ahead. I'll take the word of the thousands that have had bad experiences with them as well as what I have seen for my damn self.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

seems that some are trying to re-word to put my words in the wrong order.

The 338gr platinum is a BEAST. I'd have no problem using it on an elk, bear or even a moose if I had any to hunt.

If you think you need a streamlined armor piercing bullet pushed by 120+ grains of blackhorn209, by golly, you folks go right ahead!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaindevil54
seems that some are trying to re-word to put my words in the wrong order.

The 338gr platinum is a beast. I'd have no problem using it on an elk, bear or even a moose if i had any to hunt.........

Originally Posted by hunters_life
i'm not biased...... Mountaindevil54, has many posts about the need to load down the 338 platinum.........

?????????????

_________

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.