Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triple Seven Powder >

Triple Seven Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple Seven Powder

Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Triple Seven Powder

Anyone use the triple seven powder?

I switched to the t7 this week from pyrodex. I had something strange happen. The cap went of but the bullet and the pellets exited the barrel at about 40 fps and the pellets burned on the ground about 20 feet from me. What happened here?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Triple Seven Powder

Not enough spark, faulty primer, bullet not seated all the way, plugged nipple, moisture could be a few problems. Did it happen more than once? Was it at the end of your range session?

You said cap are you using number 10 caps or mags or 209 primers? I haven' t had a hang fire with T7 and 209' s but have heard others say they have with other ignition types. I actually though T7 requires 209, is this not the case? Not familar with the disc rifles, so I appologize if these above question are N/A.

Clean her out good and give her a go again. Good Luck
Old 10-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

We need more info

Can you please define the actual " bullet" ?

Can you please define the actual " rifle" ?

Old 10-30-2003, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to be insulting but it sounds like you might have forgotten to load a bullet. A 209 primer could easily force your pellets out of the barrel. More info please?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:36 AM

Sorry for the lack of info.

I was shooting a DISC rifle with 100gr T7 shooting a powerbelt 245gr bullet. I did have the gun loaded...in fact I found the bullet in tact on the driveway about 20-30 feet from the gun.

It was in the middle of my session. I shot about 12 times and I cleaned the gun after about six shots. It only happened 1 time. I am thinking it was a dud pellet.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quite possibly when you cleaned your gun you forced gunk into the breech area preventing the spark from doing it' s job. I have found a pass through with a dry patch after each shot with T7 eliminates problems, makes it easier to clean and provides the best accuracy. I also snap just a 209 after the patch pass to ensure I have a clean nipple...just a suggestion.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:57 AM

Could be.. but I removed the breech plug when I cleaned it. Oh well it may go down as a mystery.

I will forever second guess using the t7.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

After you cleaned your rifle, how many shots were fired before this occurred?

What did you use to clean your rifle?

Did you clean the breechplug' s exterior & interior?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

When I bought my new CVA Mountain Stalker in .54 caliber last month, I made this into a " test" rifle you might say. All my other rifles are Pyrodex Select rifles. I tuned this one with Triple Se7en and to be honest, I am so impressed with the stuff I am going to work harder to tune the others to it also. I believe it has a faster ignition time. And a definate recoil.

This new Stalker will shoot very very tight groups with the T-7. And the power it has is fantastic. The charge the rifle liked is 85 grains. Which would be close to 100 grains of Pyrodex so I was told. I did have to use a wonderwad between the charge and the patch with the T-7 because it burned the patches up. I mean like, smoked them!! Yet with a roundball this thing is deadly.

I did try some Triple Se7en in my Traditions Pioneer which is a .50 caliber and no matter what charge I tried I could not get the rifle to group with T-7. As soon as I went back to the Pyrodex, it was back in the bullseye. I am going to try and work the other rifles to T-7. Even though it is much more expensive, it cleans up a lot easier, and hunting and shooting in the rain was not a problem..
Old 10-31-2003, 07:16 AM

Cayuga D. Thanks for the input.

The shot that misfired was the first after cleaning with cotton patch and solvent. I did not have a tool to clean the breech but it was visibly clear (I could see daylight through it).

The pitting is so bad in my gun I think it is ruined. The pitting seems to be right around where the pellets were. I am wondering if I can get the bullet past the pitting by using 150 grains to make the load longer.

Quick Reply: Triple Seven Powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.