Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Optima/what load? >

CVA Optima/what load?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima/what load?

Old 10-28-2003, 11:01 PM

Default CVA Optima/what load?

I havn' t shot it yet, just bouhgt it SUN. A CVA Optima 209/50 cal.

I got the tripple 7 pellets, and 245 powerbelts.

What would be a good load?

What about a scope? Don' t want to spend much. A 3x9?

Just hunting IN deer. Most shot will probably be under 100yds. But I' d like to reach out there if I have to.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CVA Optima/what load?

What you got sounds good, I would go with 2 pellets and that powerbelt will work great out to 100 yrds easy.As for a scope I would go with a bushnell sportsman,there not expensive and there fog,shock and waterproof.Thats what I have and its worked great for me.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Phishook,

I have the Optima as wel I have mine sighted in at 1.5" at 100 yards with 2 T7 pellets and the 245 Gr aerotip Power belt. I have it topped with a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40. With that load I can get a three shot group about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:56 PM

So how do you like it? Looks like a good gun for the money. Sure wish I had time to play with it.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

It' s great. It comes up real nice and fits perfect. I have O/U rings on it with the Bushnell and it pulls right up to the eye and is nice and tucked in the shoulder. It shoots great and has little kick. I shot 15 rounds at the range and couldnt' tell you if I shot it. I have the Nickle/black. I have another CVA but I decided to get this one because of the cleaning time. It only takes me 5 minutes to clean it and I' m ready to go. I' ll let you know how it does when I get back from the mountains of Virginia.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:40 AM

I agree w/ the others start w/ 2 pellets of 50 gr T7. I went with a slightly heavier Powerbelt - 295gr. I have heard some guys saying that slightly heavier has helped w/ their accuracy 295-348gr. Play around and see what works best.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:39 AM

Just got mine yesterday - nickle with composite stock. Looking for a good scope also - but noticed that the hammer cock will get in the way unless I use see through, or high mounts - I like my scope to be as close to the barrel as possible - does anyone think can I get away with medium rings?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:41 AM

I just got mine sighted in this weekend. 100gr. pyrodex pellets and 348gr Powerbelt aerotips. I had 1st (clean barrel) shot dead on 2nd 3rd and 4th shot out of dirty barrel about 3 inches higher than first but all three were touching.

I couldn' t get 245s to group at all out of my gun.

Roseaukaine: I got mine from Cabelas with the scope kit and It came with rings and mounts I think they were medium. It is close to the hammer but the extention on the hammer makes it fairly easy to use. And if your a lefty like me the extention can be moved to the other side of the hammer.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:37 PM

Topped it off with a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40. I had Bass Pro mount and bore sight it. They had to remove the rear sight because it put a slight blure in the scope. I went with the standard rings, not the see through. The hammer is close, but it works fine with gloves on.

Now I just have to get it on the dot. I shot it twice, looks like I' m about 27" low and to the right at 50.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:54 AM

I bought one a couple weeks ago,, only a few days before the season. Put a bushnell elite 2-7 on it with low mounts(had to remove both iron sights,, hammer is VERY close, but operable). Shooting 100 grains pyro with a pwrbelt aerotip in 248(smallest .50), Cheddite primers. I has hitting real low after bore sighting. Only took about 7-8 shots(clean every 3) to get me 2" high at 70 yards. Popped a couple off at 150 and I was 2" low.

Field report,,, friday afternoon, cornfield, raining, doe 45 yards,, Ignition and no tracking job.
saturday morning,,, The Puss(dogwood swamp), cold(20' ) and windy, good buck 114 yards, ignition, hit(rolled him), then the chase was on!

disclaimer: I lost this deer, it was not the gun or bullets fault, it did what was expected. The trigger puller on the other hand deserved a big kick in the arse! I did make every attempt on retrieving this buck. Even travelled home 110 miles and returned the next morning with my waders. He just disappeared into the puss. Have to get heavier bullets for next year!

Quick Reply: CVA Optima/what load?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.