HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA Optima/what load?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 10:54 AM
SwampTHING

Default RE: CVA Optima/what load?

I bought one a couple weeks ago,, only a few days before the season. Put a bushnell elite 2-7 on it with low mounts(had to remove both iron sights,, hammer is VERY close, but operable). Shooting 100 grains pyro with a pwrbelt aerotip in 248(smallest .50), Cheddite primers. I has hitting real low after bore sighting. Only took about 7-8 shots(clean every 3) to get me 2" high at 70 yards. Popped a couple off at 150 and I was 2" low.

Field report,,, friday afternoon, cornfield, raining, doe 45 yards,, Ignition and no tracking job.
saturday morning,,, The Puss(dogwood swamp), cold(20' ) and windy, good buck 114 yards, ignition, hit(rolled him), then the chase was on!

disclaimer: I lost this deer, it was not the gun or bullets fault, it did what was expected. The trigger puller on the other hand deserved a big kick in the arse! I did make every attempt on retrieving this buck. Even travelled home 110 miles and returned the next morning with my waders. He just disappeared into the puss. Have to get heavier bullets for next year!