Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sighting-in question >

Sighting-in question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting-in question

Old 02-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ol' Pro Hunter... knowing, I could have gotten away hunting to 100yds, but never further.

Shooting off the shoulder a couple years ago at 200yds with the Ultimate, notice my windage was perfect, yet my vertical first shot, clean bore was WAY high.

With the opportunity to shoot multiple animals in the state for years, I need to know where its going to impact. So I foul for anything beyond 100yds.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Spike

Looks like I'm going to have to try different ways.

Is a barrel considered fouled if you shoot a load or two and then swab afterwards? I've read some people suggest to shoot a fouling load and then swab but to me I would think that would be a clean or semi clean bore. There is a lot more that goes into this than a CF rifle I'm finding out lol. A lot of trial and error so it looks like I'm going to have to get after it and start shooting.

My next question for the ones that don't have any poi change between clean and dirty barrel. If the gun changes it's poi between clean and dirty is it because of the powder, bullet, sabot, or is it just the gun. Seems like it could get really expensive shooting the endless amount of bullet, sabot, powder combos trying to get it dialed in.

I'll try to get out this weekend and shoot if the wind corporates. I try to shoot with little to no wind as I can so I can eliminate one variable. Thanks guys.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Spike

I'll also try to remember to take a picture of the targets between a clean bore and a fouled bore.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

This a target shot recently @ 100 yards. The two shots low right were the first two shots out of the barrel. Then a scope movement and another group shot.

#4 I really believe is my own dang fault - I am sure - I really wanted to stay tight.

Shot #1 was on a semi-clean bore... 3 primers shot and barrel swabbed with a moist - not wet - Windex patch. After that the rifle was shot with the time it patch ( not because of 'crud ring' but because that is the condition the bore would be in while hunting. Shots were shot with out cooling time other than patch/load/shoot.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zmason1002
Looks like I'm going to have to try different ways.

Is a barrel considered fouled if you shoot a load or two and then swab afterwards?
In my world that would be a semi-clean bore - but definitely even a partially fouled

I've read some people suggest to shoot a fouling load and then swab but to me I would think that would be a clean or semi clean bore. There is a lot more that goes into this than a CF rifle I'm finding out lol. A lot of trial and error so it looks like I'm going to have to get after it and start shooting.

You are exactly correct.... but once you develop a routine it is second nature and ADDITIVE!

My next question for the ones that don't have any poi change between clean and dirty barrel. If the gun changes it's poi between clean and dirty is it because of the powder, bullet, sabot, or is it just the gun.

It can actually be all - including the way the receiver and barrel are laying the stock. Especially with a wood stock.

Seems like it could get really expensive shooting the endless amount of bullet, sabot, powder combos trying to get it dialed in.

It really is not that bad especially if the barreled action is seated properly and the heating barrel doesn't change your POI by pushing on the stock. With the rifles I shoot I have never found a significant differences in POI with different powder or projectiles. They all seem to stay in their particular groups. Each powder and projectile can possibly set up different barrel harmonics that will create a POI for that load. And again I would suggest a lot of it is in how the barreled action sets in you stock.

I'll try to get out this weekend and shoot if the wind corporates. I try to shoot with little to no wind as I can so I can eliminate one variable. Thanks guys.

Again these are just my personal beliefs and observations.

Have fun shooting - I really wish I could get out here but the weather is not cooperating!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zmason1002
Looks like I'm going to have to try different ways...............
There are no "perfect way" for each shooter or each rifle. What you've been given is information others have experimented with or learned. Hunting situations change from area to area, where those in the western states, might do things completely different than the eastern or mid-west shooters. Some guys in the deep south shoot and clean their rifle every day after a hunt and reload in the morning again. The ranges hunted can be very different between areas, such as hunting heavily wooded areas, to agricultural fields or mountains. I think at times, its what makes muzzleloading so much fun.
Never stop asking questions. You may get 20 different answers, but only the process of trial and error will give you what you want/need.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
There are no "perfect way" for each shooter or each rifle. What you've been given is information others have experimented with or learned. Hunting situations change from area to area, where those in the western states, might do things completely different than the eastern or mid-west shooters. Some guys in the deep south shoot and clean their rifle every day after a hunt and reload in the morning again. The ranges hunted can be very different between areas, such as hunting heavily wooded areas, to agricultural fields or mountains. I think at times, its what makes muzzleloading so much fun.
Never stop asking questions. You may get 20 different answers, but only the process of trial and error will give you what you want/need.

Great Point!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is my experience that for the most part it is what you put in your barrel and how you prepare it for hunting. all 3 of my hunting inlines will put that first shot in or close enough to the group that its is fine for hunting to 150 yards.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
"..... different answers, but only the process of trial and error will give you what you want/need.

such is life