HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sighting-in question
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zmason1002
Looks like I'm going to have to try different ways.

Is a barrel considered fouled if you shoot a load or two and then swab afterwards?
In my world that would be a semi-clean bore - but definitely even a partially fouled

I've read some people suggest to shoot a fouling load and then swab but to me I would think that would be a clean or semi clean bore. There is a lot more that goes into this than a CF rifle I'm finding out lol. A lot of trial and error so it looks like I'm going to have to get after it and start shooting.

You are exactly correct.... but once you develop a routine it is second nature and ADDITIVE!

My next question for the ones that don't have any poi change between clean and dirty barrel. If the gun changes it's poi between clean and dirty is it because of the powder, bullet, sabot, or is it just the gun.

It can actually be all - including the way the receiver and barrel are laying the stock. Especially with a wood stock.

Seems like it could get really expensive shooting the endless amount of bullet, sabot, powder combos trying to get it dialed in.

It really is not that bad especially if the barreled action is seated properly and the heating barrel doesn't change your POI by pushing on the stock. With the rifles I shoot I have never found a significant differences in POI with different powder or projectiles. They all seem to stay in their particular groups. Each powder and projectile can possibly set up different barrel harmonics that will create a POI for that load. And again I would suggest a lot of it is in how the barreled action sets in you stock.

I'll try to get out this weekend and shoot if the wind corporates. I try to shoot with little to no wind as I can so I can eliminate one variable. Thanks guys.

Again these are just my personal beliefs and observations.

Have fun shooting - I really wish I could get out here but the weather is not cooperating!