Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new cva

Old 02-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
TC quality control tanked long before they were bought out. TC could not even get their flagship gun, the Encore, right. That gun had/has so many problems that a another company has a booming business fixing problems with Encores.
Bellm TCs?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Mike's business has been good over the years but it's not because of poor craftsmanship on TC's part. It is absolutely impossible to get perfect head spacing on the encore platform. You can get close on tolerances but you can NOT get dead on between all barrels and all frames. It is a mechanical impossibility. Nature of the beast and so forth. Mike's system is a shimming system to make up for that in barrel switches. And an over sized pin for when there is slight differences in the hanger. Again, nature of the beast. The other stuff he sells is IMPROVEMENTS just like so many other makers make to customize every other factory rifle maker out there. But you keep right on advertising for CVA Falcon..You know, the company that has had more lawsuits brought against it for safety concerns as well as infringement suits than ALL the other rifle makers combined!!
Old 02-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Sounds like Remington 😆 7 million strong,and recalling...
Old 02-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yes Mike's business has been good over the years but it's not because of poor craftsmanship on TC's part. It is absolutely impossible to get perfect head spacing on the encore platform. You can get close on tolerances but you can NOT get dead on between all barrels and all frames. It is a mechanical impossibility. Nature of the beast and so forth. Mike's system is a shimming system to make up for that in barrel switches. And an over sized pin for when there is slight differences in the hanger. Again, nature of the beast. The other stuff he sells is IMPROVEMENTS just like so many other makers make to customize every other factory rifle maker out there. But you keep right on advertising for CVA Falcon..You know, the company that has had more lawsuits brought against it for safety concerns as well as infringement suits than ALL the other rifle makers combined!!

I have owned tc encores and cva apex and only have an encore frame now but the Apex does not have to have all the stuff done to it like the Encore. If one did it was certainly the exception and not the rule. Not saying they are perfect but not as bad as the encore. While i would agree that things like the trigger kit for the encore is an "improvement" thing, thats not really telling the whole story, like 10 pound crappy triggers that shouldnt ever left the factory. I had one of those and it was horrible. The Encore i have now which is an older one isnt that bad.

But, the apex is discontinued now and the encore is not and has a ton of aftermarket for it which I like. In the end though, ive seen crap put out by both companies. Lol.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

But you keep right on advertising for CVA Falcon..

Look fella, i'm not "advertising" for any damn one. Let someone dare disagree with you and you throw out accusations. This ain't the politics forum.

Simply telling it like it is. TC peddles the Encore as a switch barrel gun. My new muzzleloader Encore and it's five new center fire barrels were the sorriest pieces of trash i ever encountered. The frame of that gun was welded up and re-machined in the machine shop my son managed. Now it is a passable switch barrel gun.

Three of the barrels i bought were total trash. The headspace in two of those barrels was so excessive they would not fire factory ammunition.

You know, the company that has had more lawsuits brought against it for safety concerns as well as infringement suits than ALL the other rifle makers combined!!

Yep, for some reason they also sell more guns than all other muzzleloader companies combined.

Last edited by falcon; 02-05-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wasn't accusing Falcon, was stating a solid fact. Anytime anyone has something to say about CVA, you and Devil boy always pop in vaulting CVA and trashing TC. And you do know that CVA SELLS those shim kits for their rifles that do the EXACT same thing that Mikes does right? Why do you think they sell them?? BECAUSE THEY ARE NEEDED!! That is the inherent design flaw in ALL switch barrel platforms! There is no way you could machine head space tolerances to match all production barrels to all production frames! Well you could but the cost would be astronomical! You can get close enough for most people to be happy and they will work fine.

As far as your NEW TC platform goes, just how "new" is it? Because S&W really put out some seriously crappy barrels for a good while. I bought most all my barrels pre S&W and a few of them are on par grouping wise as some of my custom barrels! My .50 ML barrel will group MOA at 150 yards. Granted that was after I cut that QLA crap off it and put on a 11* crown. Every CF barrel I own for it will group well under MOA at 100. Basically, when I pull the trigger, it goes boom and I hit what I am aiming at. Can't ask for anything better.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my best group ever with a T/C Encore. I owned a bunch of them but never switched Barrels. The Triumph is a much better option for strictly a ML by far in my opinion. The problem with people today is, they think what they own is the best. And that doesn't really help the industry at all. All ML companies need to make some improvements. I own a lot of different brands of muzzleloader and I can find lagitimate things wrong. But when people praise them, nothing will change. The ultimate ML is a good example. No improvements over the years, and old school thinking. One of the worst muzzleloaders to own today. But an easy ML to update, but you gotta have the right people to do it. The accuracy is already there, the rest is simple with the right people. CVA has done very well, and they got a lot of room to make better. But I don't think they will. I think they want to keep things at a low cost and sale volume. Not a bad way to think, and I think the new guns are a lot safer. But that's just my opinion. Knight wants to sale quality and not volume. The problem they have is, they have no one to maintain the quality. That's an easy fix, but who knows what they will do. I know there customer service gets pretty beat up online. Glad I haven't needed to deal with that. But I mostly shoot Disc Elites which are pretty darn simple.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

As far as your NEW TC platform goes, just how "new" is it?

Bought that Encore in 2006. That makes it a pre-S&W gun. BTW: The gun had other problems.

1. Ramrod thimbles were loose. The screw holes were not deep enough.

2. The locking springs were weak and were replaced with Bellms springs.

3. The hammer spring was weak. It would fire a 209 primer OK but not a center fire round. A gunsmith was on the range when i installed the .30-06 barrel. He said: "You will probably have a misfire". Bellms again.

4. There was severe side to side movement of the barrels in the frame even with the oversize hinge pin. That required welding and machining.

Of all the things that can go wrong with an Encore; it did have a good trigger pull from the factory.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

SH 54, I only contacted CVA Customer Service a couple of times. Once to order a new firing pin spring--mine had some rust on it so I thought I might need a spare. They sent one for free.

Another time I contacted them to order some of those little plugs that you screw into the iron sight holes after you take off the iron sights. If I remember right, they sent them free also.

I bought this CVA Optima V2 used at a pawn shop. It had not been properly cleaned(why do they do that???) but was stainless and cleaned up OK. It is more accurate then I am, if I needed another blackpowder rifle I would buy another CVA.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

SH.........The shims fix a minor problem that CVA had for awhile. How do you fix all the TC's that won't shoot conicals? Cut off the QLA? That's not an easy fix and then you don't have a QLA. CVA can build a barrel to shoot conicals and that's with a QLA.

I can give you other examples, but that one should show you who can build a better gun. Even if you are too biased to see it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.