Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new cva

Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

CVA can build a barrel to shoot conicals and that's with a QLA.
As long as that conical is not over 400gr or using 3FG powder. It says so right in the manual.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just bought a 45-70 CVA scout to convert
Coolest gun in their line up too. Hard to believe they can make a SS frame CF and sell it for less than the 2 upper end ML offerings. On top of that its almost as light and has a removable muzzle brake.

I wish you had some big ole conicals to try in it. I bet it would be a hoot with a 465gr and about 75gr of powder. That would be a killer "brush gun" load.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
As long as that conical is not over 400gr or using 3FG powder. It says so right in the manual.
I shot NoExcuses 460gr all the time. Before doing it I called and asked CVA and asked what was up with that when they sell 444gr Powerbelts. He told me to ignore the warning. They know it was a mistake, but the manuals are printed out and they're aren't changing it.

So there.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I shot NoExcuses 460gr all the time. Before doing it I called and asked CVA and asked what was up with that when they sell 444gr Powerbelts. He told me to ignore the warning. They know it was a mistake, but the manuals are printed out and they're aren't changing it.

So there.
Yeah because its crazy hard to edit a pdf file. It might take all of 30 seconds to change and 5min to upload it to the website.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm talking about the manuals that come with the guns. The PDF manuals have to match.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm talking about the manuals that come with the guns. The PDF manuals have to match.
No they don't. People put out updates or addendums to manuals all the time.

Hell if Knight can put out new info for BH209 limits then it must be pretty simple considering how few people they have. Print shops have those files in house usually. It would take a typesetter a couple minutes to make the change for the printers.

But to further my point. CVA strictly forbids using 3FG of any kind (verified by their tech) and bullets over 300grs in sabots too. Tell them you used either and they can void your warranty. A tech told me this more than once.

Its also about time they changed the 150gr max for BH209. They mention it in the manual but don't state the 120gr max by Western. If they can update a manual include BH209 plug info they can sure clearly state it has a different max powder rating too.

BTW i LOVE this tidbit. I never knew you needed to clean between EVERY sabot load to prevent them from getting hard to load....This is a riot.

However, most sabots leave a heavy plastic residue in the bore requiring cleaning of the bore after every shot. This plastic residue along with the extremely tight fit of most sabots makes loading for quick follow-up shots very difficult.
I guess this is something unique to CVA since none of my other rifles mention it nor have i ever found a NEED to remove sabot residue between shots. Maybe its those WhiteHots they are pushing.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-06-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course they'll say that. They sell Powerbelts.

TC will tell your their guns are made for sabots.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Hopefully with all the new folks they've brought it, they'll update their manuals to real day load info. Even Traditions allows 3f in their rifles while cva says its for .45cal and below. Its just outdated info from the 60s-70s.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

.........The shims fix a minor problem that CVA had for awhile.......
Forever. CVA rifles all have excess head space, and have had excess head space for a long long time.

Years ago, i made shims to reduce head space of the old model Accura, and later used them in the new model Accura too.

Ironically, this excess head space is helpful if one wishes to use the metric o-ring to reduce blow by. One can take almost any CVA rifle, stuff the o-ring into the primer socket, and shoot it. Far and away the easiest way to solve blow by, of any rifle. Western Powders even includes some o-ring with their breech plug. One cannot do this in TC rifles; head space is consistently near perfect.

Another thing done years ago, was to make breech plugs that would reliably ignite Blackhorn in CVA rifles. These plugs were intentionally made several thousandths longer than factory plugs, because the rifles had excess head space.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron........With 209 primers being all different lengths. How can CVA accurately set the head space? All they can do is be on the safe side of the longest primer. The idea of crushing the primer to remove blowback is not something a factory will do.

So, all a CVA can do is pick one primer to use all the time and shim the headspace to that primer. They can also take the easy way and use an o-ring. I personally, don't like using the o-rings. They shim out the primer too much and the primer falls out too easy. Installing the shims is easy enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.