Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Is a Muzzle Heavy Rifle Easier >

Is a Muzzle Heavy Rifle Easier

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is a Muzzle Heavy Rifle Easier

Old 01-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is a Muzzle Heavy Rifle Easier

Recent experience leads me to believe a muzzle heavy rifle is easier to shoot off hand. For example, at 90 yard, i seem to make more water jug hits using an Omega Dream Season, than when using an Omega X7. This happens when i am shooting standing unsupported on my legs. This also seems to be true when shooting standing, utilizing cross sticks to help support the rifles. When shooting at the bench, both rifles shoot equal.

Free hand off hand shooting is very very difficult for me, and i try to avoid doing it at all costs when hunting, but........this year........resulted in the deer i tagged, being gut shot. It sure didn't go very far, and as i walked up, it lay there as if dead. When i was about 10 feet away, it came to life, and ran off a ways requiring a kill shot, when it lay down again. The load was 105 grain Blackhorn, 300 grain XTP, black crush rib, and W209 primer. The bad hit sure hurt that deer, and it didn't run off very far. There was no blood, and even though the snow was very deep, tracking was impossible because of there being too many tracks going in all directions. Still, the deer was easy to find, because it lay down quickly, and didn't run off too far after it got up again. That 300g XTP sure did the job; me not so much.

I wonder if the cold had anything to do with why that deer gave up so easily?

For years now, my hunting rifle has been the X7. After this year, and after practicing, since season ended, i believe i can shoot the Dream Season better than the X7, free hand. I will be using the same old reliable 300 grain XTP next year, however, i will be using the muzzle heavy Dream Season instead of the X7........maybe, perhaps.......probably.........

Old 01-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, a heavy barrel is easier to hold steady offhand. The GPR is very barrel heavy and is great for offhand shooting. My problem with a lousy back is I can't keep it shouldered for very long. I need to get on the target fast and shoot the first time the front sight is on target.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a brass ramrod in my big boar and it really helps shooting offhand compared to the wood ramrod especially in the wind .
Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always has been for me as well. I actually prefer a front heavy rifle. When hog hunting, I take running shots often and have found the swing to is much steadier with one. Especially when using my AR's. I'm probably 25% better on running shots with my Ar 10 in 7mm.08 on running shots than I am with my 6.8SPC on an Ar15 platform. Both rifles are well under MOA at 100 yards off the bench so it has nothing to do with the accuracy of them. It's the handling and balance of them that makes the difference.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

NOW my 2 cents, a NOSE heavy rifle is a different animal than a HEAVY barreled gun?
THINK BIG BI pod on end of barrel like?
I personally find a balanced rifle I will ALWAYS shoot better off hands than one nose or butt heavy
But can see at times a NOSE heavy can help , as think of a box with a stabilizer on it?
its designed to help balance things some what!

BUT like all things TOO Much nose weight will hurt you IMO
as you will be trying to compensate for it and that will take away from your control more than again, a balanced rifle will!

NOW take a very light weight BALANCED rifle and a heavier one, and YES 100$ I will shoot the heavier one better off hand 99% of the time, helps with wind and thinsg, recoil to for follow up shots

BUT again here, TOO heavy and your muscles will get over worked faster and make it harder!
all things in life have a point of were things work better!
its always to me finding the right balance for YOU, same as a correct fitting rifle/shotgun/hand gun
the better it fits YOU< the better you will shoot it
LOTS of trick shooters from the 1800's didn't have as accurate guns as we do today, or ammo
but there guns fit them and they knew them super well!