Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Duplexing For BH209 >

Duplexing For BH209

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Duplexing For BH209

Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Don't know if I would do it but I don't see any harm in doing it either. If I don't have a reliable ignition (AKA 209) I wont use BH209.
But on a side note I've been having some good success with Black MZ powder. It's been shooting great on the range and firing 3 shots on game has resulted in two deer and one hog. (one deer and the hog were DRT and the other deer didn't travel very far). Loading is easy and cleaning between shots like 209 is not necessary. But unlike BH209 it ignites reliably with #11 caps.
Where did you get the idea that BH 209 needs to be cleaned between shots? My accuracy experiments show that as a mistake.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Where did you get the idea that BH 209 needs to be cleaned between shots? My accuracy experiments show that as a mistake.
In most cases it doesn't need to be swabbed between shots, especially for hunting. However, if you're shooting for the smallest possible groups, it should be swabbed to maintain consistent, repeatable accuracy. The most accurate shooter I know who uses BH209, swabs between each shot.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Don't know if I would do it but I don't see any harm in doing it either. If I don't have a reliable ignition (AKA 209) I wont use BH209.
But on a side note I've been having some good success with Black MZ powder. It's been shooting great on the range and firing 3 shots on game has resulted in two deer and one hog. (one deer and the hog were DRT and the other deer didn't travel very far). Loading is easy and cleaning between shots like 209 is not necessary. But unlike BH209 it ignites reliably with #11 caps.
Originally Posted by lemoyne
I read that as MZ powder doesn't need to be cleaned between shots like 209.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Okay boys and girls. It's time to put our thinking caps on for a minute. I just read about a little trick that I may just give a wack at but I'd like to get some opinions or experiences first. I've read a couple posts on another site that some are loading 3-4 grains FFFG down the barrel before a load of BH in their inlines with #11 caps (one was a White Super 91) and getting reliable ignition!! Bronko had a NIB White Super 91 that I passed on for 2 reasons. 1: plunger/bolt type receivers and my sausage fingers just don't get along well without a primer tool. 2: #11 percussion type rifles won't reliably fire BH209 and if I'm using an inline, I want to use the best performing powder on the market. Now I'm kinda kicking myself in the butt for passing on a great deal on a rifle that could have very well surpassed the full bore bullet performance of my TC Pro Hunter barrel (no easy task there) that would also be "western compliant"!! Any of you guys with Whites ever tried this little trick??
We are very fortunate in the USA to have many different powders available to try. Doubt any powder manufacture would recommend mixing powders. So, proceed with caution, especially in a plunger style gun.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I've used 5grns of 3f black with bh 209 in my whites .not a problem and its pretty accurate.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deepcreek
I've used 5grns of 3f black with bh 209 in my whites .not a problem and its pretty accurate.
Guess I'm going to have to join the vast group looking for a Thunderbolt. Pref. a .451 but would think hard on a .504. Would absolutely LOVE a .451 with a 1:18-1:20 twist or a .504 in 1:20!!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by deepcreek
I agree..... nothing to worry about.... ie.... Goex FFF.
I just wouldn;t advise using Blackhorn in a plunger. But in a sidelock?...... five grains down the chute and add a little more under the nipple, should be fine. But good ignition would depend on the condition and design of the sidelock - quality of the nipple and cap.... and I would never exceed 95gr loose Blackhorn volume, in a 50-cal sidelock.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Spike

BH209 in a plunger style gun reminded me of this post:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/407995-black-diamond-t-c-blackhorn-209-a.html#post4267479

I realize this is about using #11 caps, but could the same thing happen?
Old 01-03-2017, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it could Bill. I'm just saying to heck with the idea and look for a Thunderbolt after I pee the wife off and order a Swinglock .45 speedy twist Or have a custom .50 1:20 twist built if I can't find a good .50 Thunderbolt.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doc White tested BH209 in a Thunderbolt.

Read the bottom paragraphs. All he did was adjust head space and added a vent liner to the breach plug.

http://whitemuzzleloading.com/shooti...e-thunderbolt/

Doc thought pretty highly of BH209 in a Thunderbolt.
http://whitemuzzleloading.com/interview-with-doc/
All of the above is nonsense if you are using a ThunderBolt with 209 ignition. Blackhorn 209 is hands down the best in the ThunderBolt. BT209 is a smokeless powder of course, they say with a few additives but they won’t say what the additives are. It acts a lot like the 8400 that I experimented with way back when. It is not at all like the 5744 that I took to Africa. Be that as it may, it works like a charm in the T-Bolt, producing great velocities with 300 -450 grain saboted bullets. I have not yet tried it with heavy slip fit bullets

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-04-2017 at 06:18 AM.