Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black Diamond T C with Blackhorn 209 >

Black Diamond T C with Blackhorn 209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond T C with Blackhorn 209

Old 08-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default Black Diamond T C with Blackhorn 209

I bought Blackhorn 209 propellant. The container says that an open breech plug is not compatible. The Black Diamond appears to have an open breech plug. I called T C no help they say it is not recommended. I have left a message with Blackhorn ...no response ...yet. ANYONE OUT THERE USE BLACKHORN 209 IN A T C BLACK DIAMOND?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son has a Black Diomond and likes it. He does not use Blackhorn 209 so I can not help you out there.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The open ports on the TC BD plug dictate you do NOT want to use BH 209 powder. You may end up pulling a spent primer out of your face. Every BD I've seen are dirty girls with lots of blow back. A lot of folks switched to #11 M cap. and pyro RS and they say it seriously cleaned up the blow back problems. I seem to remember one of our members, cayugad, did just that. Again, unless you find a closed plug to put in that rifle, do NOT use BH 209.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a Black Diamond XR. I personally tested BlackHorn 209 in it. I was aware of the warning but did it anyway. And I can tell you, the warning given is very true. I warn you, I did the Black Horn test and ended up digging the center of a 209 primer out of my forehead, above my eye brow. It only took once to make me realize, that the rifle is NOT made for that powder.

I realized I wear shooting glasses and ear protection. But think if that projectile had went just a little lower, and I was not wearing glasses.

I fired off I think it was three shots .... no problem. Fourth shot is when it got me. And you'd never believe how silly I felt, looking in the bathroom mirror with a needle and needle nose pliers digging that thing out.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh experience can be one MEAN teacher can't it cayu!!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ahhh experience can be one MEAN teacher can't it cayu!!

Yes in deed! I have never shot the powder in an open breech rifle since. In fact that was why I purchased a Disc rifle and an Optima so I could continue some of the testing I wanted to do. And anytime I read of someone with an open breech rifle shooting the powder, I always warn them of my experiences.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cayugad
Yes in deed! I have never shot the powder in an open breech rifle since. In fact that was why I purchased a Disc rifle and an Optima so I could continue some of the testing I wanted to do. And anytime I read of someone with an open breech rifle shooting the powder, I always warn them of my experiences.
. Thanks guys for the good advice.....looks like a new ML soon....
Old 08-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hook
I bought Blackhorn 209 propellant. The container says that an open breech plug is not compatible. The Black Diamond appears to have an open breech plug. I called T C no help they say it is not recommended. I have left a message with Blackhorn ...no response ...yet. ANYONE OUT THERE USE BLACKHORN 209 IN A T C BLACK DIAMOND?
Wasn't that your answer you was looking for?? TC said them selves it wasn't recommended. I would say TC was a help, just not the answer you was wanting

Last edited by zmason1002; 08-02-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by zmason1002
Wasn't that your answer you was looking for?? TC said them selves it wasn't recommended. I would say TC was a help, just not the answer you was wanting
No, that was not the answer I was looking for. I was hoping they would say. "We have a modification for the Black Diamond that will allow the use of BH 209". Thanks again guys for your positive feedback.