Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Little Girl 1 deer 0 >

Little Girl 1 deer 0

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Little Girl 1 deer 0

Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great shot and great doe.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow I am surprised it ran off far. The shot placement looks right where I would have put it. Did she get a pass through with that load? I can't believe the jungle of weeds you hunt in. Man that would be tough going. Congratulations young lady you did really good!
Old 09-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Wow I am surprised it ran off far. The shot placement looks right where I would have put it. Did she get a pass through with that load? I can't believe the jungle of weeds you hunt in. Man that would be tough going. Congratulations young lady you did really good!
it ran about 30 yards max but it ran into ragweed that was thick and almost impenetrable. The shot was a complete pass thru. I normally don't hunt weeded areas like that but the open prairie I figured would be to far of a shot for her limited experience. I went to an old farm where I thought we had a chance to get close. I wanted to get her under a 100 yards . Deer always bed in the weeds around there. I just didn't think about how hard it might be to find one in that mess. But it worked out. The bullet on the other hand after seeing Ron's test at low velocity has me wondering. Oh well she is the only one shooting a reduced load. I started all the kids off with 60 gr so they didn't get recoil conscience. Then the next year they went to a regular 100 gr load. None of them had a problem getting a deer with 60 gr .But none used a pt gold. Oh well the deer tasted good . I had some for lunch. That's what counts.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shaprsshooter, what did the entrance and exit holes look like, and the internal damage?

If I were using a light load at close distances I would go with a Hornady .452 250 GR HP XTP or the .452 250 grain Speer Deep Curl. Those are bullets I would not use for full bore loads, but in this case they would be perfect.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!
Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Shaprsshooter, what did the entrance and exit holes look like, and the internal damage?

If I were using a light load at close distances I would go with a Hornady .452 250 GR HP XTP or the .452 250 grain Speer Deep Curl. Those are bullets I would not use for full bore loads, but in this case they would be perfect.
Exit looked like there had been some expansion . Lungs were destroyed and liver had damage . It looked like the bullet did its job
Old 09-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Chet, Great going! Looks like you added another member into the ML Brotherhood!

Tell you daughter congrats from all of us on her first deer and for a perfect shot. You also did a fantastic job on finding it for her. Kudos to the both of you.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

well congrats to her and you
nothing better than seeing a kid enjoying hunting and the outdoors!
I hope all your kids stick with it!