HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Little Girl 1 deer 0
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 12:27 PM
1874sharpsshooter
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Wow I am surprised it ran off far. The shot placement looks right where I would have put it. Did she get a pass through with that load? I can't believe the jungle of weeds you hunt in. Man that would be tough going. Congratulations young lady you did really good!
it ran about 30 yards max but it ran into ragweed that was thick and almost impenetrable. The shot was a complete pass thru. I normally don't hunt weeded areas like that but the open prairie I figured would be to far of a shot for her limited experience. I went to an old farm where I thought we had a chance to get close. I wanted to get her under a 100 yards . Deer always bed in the weeds around there. I just didn't think about how hard it might be to find one in that mess. But it worked out. The bullet on the other hand after seeing Ron's test at low velocity has me wondering. Oh well she is the only one shooting a reduced load. I started all the kids off with 60 gr so they didn't get recoil conscience. Then the next year they went to a regular 100 gr load. None of them had a problem getting a deer with 60 gr .But none used a pt gold. Oh well the deer tasted good . I had some for lunch. That's what counts.