Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Your recommendation >

Your recommendation

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your recommendation

Old 04-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default Your recommendation

I'm thinking about buying a new muzzleloader and was interested in input from any who haved used the models I am looking at. I own an Omega, but haven't had great success getting groups I am confident with (about 6-7" at 100 yards).

I am looking at the Knight Disc Extreme, TC Pro Hunter FX and possibly the Accura V2.

My hesitation with the Knight and Accura are primarily that I would have to change the breach plugs in order to shoot BH 209. I am hesitant with regards to the Encore because I wonder if it is worth the money to pay more for it and my experience with the Omega.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear some input if you have experience with these guns and what you like/dislike about them.

Last edited by nebkhntr; 04-30-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the v2 lr nitride haven't shot it too much yet but so far very accurate and I love the nitride finish. I was really po'd that the bh209 did not come with the gun but what can you do just have to shell out the money if you want it. Also I have the thumb hole stock which I also like.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

neb, out of curiosity, what have you tried with the Omega? 6-7" tells me one of 3 things, bad scope, rings or base not tight, bad barrel (which TC would gladly fix), or simply bad shooter. And bad shooter doesn't necessarily mean poor performance at the bench but possibly bad loading habits. As in, not seating the bullet with equal pressure, wrong end on the rod if you are using tipped bullets and using a rod end that doesn't have the opening for them then you are flattening that tip and that will make for very inaccurate shots. Inconsistent powder charge or a bad batch of powder. It actually could be a number of things not related to the quality of the rifle at all!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Spike

I've been working with it for nearly 5 years now. While I don't claim to be the best shot in the world, I know I'm better than the performance I have gotten out of this gun.

I have tried Triple 7, Pyrodex and BH209 in charges ranging from 80 up to 120. I have shot Deep Curls, Shockwaves, Partitions, Barnes, Expanders and Spitfire TEZ's and Hornady XTP's all with various sabots. I swabbed between shots and left it dirty. I have shot it with standard sights and a peep.

Finally I threw scope on it last year in hopes that I was the problem. Still no luck...2" at 50 yards. That was when I decided maybe it was time to try something different.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a bad barrel then. Rare but not unheard of. Have you tried contacting TC?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's a quick load-QLA design-I wonder if the muzzle end of the barrel is off centerline.
Secondly, some of those Thompson stocks don't provide rigid support which allow barrel flex and poor groups upon firing. I've got one such gun I'm waiting to see if the stock causes the poor groups I suspect it might.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your only complaint about buying the CVA V2 is the breech plug. Buy it from Ed's Gun Shop. Carlos will modify the stock BP to use BH 209. For free. He'll also setup the headspace so you get no blowback. On top of that, he'll give you the best price over any other place you can buy it. It will also be as accurate if not more accurate as any of the guns you're considering and will shoot conicals and sabots. Something that can't be said for all TC guns.

Make sure to ask for Carlos when you call. He doesn't work on Wed.

Ed's Gun Shop
5560 US 1 HWY
Vass, NC 28394
(910) 692-7936
(910) 692-4867 fax
[email protected] or [email protected]

Hours:
M - F - 9am - 6pm
Sat - 9am - 5pm
Sun - Closed

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 05-01-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

You got that at about the time they had a problem with the QLA alignment. If you are decent with tools cut the barrel off square with the bore and button it; if not having a gunsmith do it is much less cost than a new rifle. If you search it out there is a good description in detail of how to cut off the QLA and button in the archives.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

He's shooting sabots. The QLA won't cause those to be un-accurate.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 05-01-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by nebkhntr
I'm thinking about buying a new muzzleloader and was interested in input from any who haved used the models I am looking at. I own an Omega, but haven't had great success getting groups I am confident with (about 6-7" at 100 yards).

I am looking at the Knight Disc Extreme, TC Pro Hunter FX and possibly the Accura V2.

My hesitation with the Knight and Accura are primarily that I would have to change the breach plugs in order to shoot BH 209. I am hesitant with regards to the Encore because I wonder if it is worth the money to pay more for it and my experience with the Omega.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear some input if you have experience with these guns and what you like/dislike about them.
I am wondering why you think you have to change the breech plug in a new Knight to shoot BH.

The Knight/Lehigh NFPJ (bare primer) breech plug shoots BH just fine even using a mild Winchester W209 primer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.