Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega/Encore Replacement BP's >

Omega/Encore Replacement BP's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega/Encore Replacement BP's

Old 02-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Omega/Encore Replacement BP's

I am thinking the new ones (replacement plugs) may be a better plug (longer lasting) than the originals...

I have been modifying these plugs for several years to be more compliant with BH and with the installation of a Vent Liner. Once you get this done your one plug will last a life time...

I just completed the modification yesterday to a plug and it really seems to me that the last to modifications I have done have become a bit more difficult because the metal in the BP seems to be harder - probably tempered to a greater degree.

For myself it take a combination of drill bits to accomplish the project. I start with an 1/8" drill to align the the plug to the drill press with that I drill through the current flash hole. In the case of the last two plugs I had to use a new sharp hi-speed bit to get through + use a drilling oil. After that I remove the 1/8" and go to a #21 drill bit for tapping the new plug to fit the Vent Liner. Again the same experience it took more effort than I remember before and the oil was a necessity to keep the heat down.

Once that is done - flip the plug and use a mill end to make the seat for the Vent Liner. All of these drilling processes are not as easy as they have been in the past. I really believe the metal is harder in these new plugs.

Those of that are purchasing replacement Omega/Encore BP's for your rifles - I believe you are going to see a longer life with these new plugs...

Modification Process

Old 02-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

In your last pic what is that between the two vents. a extended vent
Old 02-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
In your last pic what is that between the two vents. a extended vent
Yes it was an experimental vent built by Lehigh. With regular BP and BP subs it was intended to ignite the powder near the middle of the powder column. In the yester year the military found that igniting the powder near the middle of the powder produced better efficiency and burn.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a small concern about flash channel volume when using the newer style Omega plugs for the conversion. How much length do you lose by adding the vent liner to them?

At one time the Omega plug was not dished on the powder side like they are now. I think you can still buy a old style Omega plug from PA Machine. Those would even have enough length to make a tungsten carbide bushing plug. Not cheap but it is another option.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I have a small concern about flash channel volume when using the newer style Omega plugs for the conversion. How much length do you lose by adding the vent liner to them?

At one time the Omega plug was not dished on the powder side like they are now. I think you can still buy a old style Omega plug from PA Machine. Those would even have enough length to make a tungsten carbide bushing plug. Not cheap but it is another option.
Over time there has been many different Omega/Encore breech plugs...

The standard now seems to be the one on the far right.

When I drill them I do not drill any deeper or just a bit deeper than the original plug.

In a normal breech plug I really do not see the benefit of the bushing. The plug really doesn't suffer very much wear at all - the flash hole on the other hand does - which is the reason for the installation of the vent liner.

Of course this position would change were you shooting non-standard black powder loads or smokeless.