Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Melancholy Lament >

A Melancholy Lament

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Melancholy Lament

Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Melancholy Lament

As I sit here puffing on my pipe and sipping fifteen year old single malt while perusing the forum I find myself in a melancholy mood.

I miss the days when the forum was much less contentious. The days when there were a lot of range reports posted with target pictures. The days when members posted an experience with some gun or load and it was discussed in a friendly and respectful manner. The days when opinions could be sought and recommendations made without someone's input being ridiculed or engendering rancorous replies.

I find myself enjoying the forum less than I once did. Where I once read every thread start to finish, I now find myself scanning some threads and reading only the comments of members I have come to respect. I find myself totally bypassing all comments from chronic flamers and nitpicking wordsmiths. That strikes me as a sad thing.

Perhaps this downward trend will turn itself around. Maybe when the more congenial weather of Spring arrives more of us will be shooting and posting our results. Maybe we'll discuss the gun/load/results in a lighter mood. I sure hope so.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi, STOP HOGGING THE SINGLE MALT Man I picked the wrong century to quit drinkin. I do so miss my old singles.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Banned

to many years have passed with the same wishes lol. At the beginning we all figured it was cabin fever. We now know better.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
As I sit here puffing on my pipe and sipping fifteen year old single malt while perusing the forum I find myself in a melancholy mood.,,,,,,,,

Perhaps this downward trend will turn itself around. Maybe when the more congenial weather of Spring arrives more of us will be shooting and posting our results. Maybe we'll discuss the gun/load/results in a lighter mood. I sure hope so.
Share some Dragon tales: previous success(es) that went unmentioned here.
I have some things to share-as you mentioned above- once the weather breaks and certain personal matters come back in order.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:43 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Now thats what i call a pipe dream semi .

Old 01-14-2016, 05:36 AM
Spike

Semisane,
I fully agree with all you said. Unfortunately, that seems to be the scourge that has infected so many good special interest sites.

While I'm here, I want to thank you for directing me here, 5 years ago, after I had committed a faux pas on one of the more traditional sites.

Keep making good smoke,

Paul

Last edited by Moosehuntersupreme; 01-14-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: small change
Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
As I sit here puffing on my pipe and sipping fifteen year old single malt while perusing the forum I find myself in a melancholy mood.

I miss the days when the forum was much less contentious. The days when there were a lot of range reports posted with target pictures. The days when members posted an experience with some gun or load and it was discussed in a friendly and respectful manner. The days when opinions could be sought and recommendations made without someone's input being ridiculed or engendering rancorous replies.

I find myself enjoying the forum less than I once did. Where I once read every thread start to finish, I now find myself scanning some threads and reading only the comments of members I have come to respect. I find myself totally bypassing all comments from chronic flamers and nitpicking wordsmiths. That strikes me as a sad thing.

''Amen!

It's sad when a few members here want to argue over the definition of standing up a gun horizontally.

I don't know of any ML that will stand up horizontally on it's own when conducting a test, without the aid of being propped-up in some way-shape-form.

Some people look at two words and can't figure out how those two words might fit-in, inside a thread topic already established.

Pretty sad indeed.
Most-all of us want peace on this board. We also want repliers to think twice and draw a mind-picture of the prior poster reply, before posting his needless cut-down reply.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with all on this topic. I recently came back to this site after almost a year off. I was just too busy to come aboard. But now, after starting to settle into retirement I am back! I was really shocked to see that the forums didn't have much action! I see that a lots of new members will make a few posts then never come back!
That's because nothing much has changed! A few people have hijacked the board for arguing and ridicule of less experienced hunters/shooters instead of respectfully giving advice and opinions! This board can be great again with just a little civility!
BTW, Semi, pass the single malt!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, what should be a sharing of experiences and ideas usually ends up with pride squabbles. But there are still enough good threads here to keep me coming back. I have never really been an experimenter with loads- I find my 100 yard load and just keep practicing with it. But I do like knowing whats out there as far as new bullets and guns. One day my estimated 500 noslers will run out and I will be looking for my new load. Semi- you are always a bright spot on this forum and never fail to get a chuckle out of me when I read your threads.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey my friend - come over to the traditional forum. I know what you're feeling. We have been starting to fall over to the dark side. I know I've been guilty of arguing a point when it would have been much easier to not respond and let the culprit's ego do what it will.
Besides, we'll have more fun with the traditional forum anyway. But I only ask one thing ....Edited by Champlain Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-14-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Needless flaming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.