Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Went to the Movies last Night... >

Went to the Movies last Night...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Went to the Movies last Night...

Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Went to the Movies last Night...

Took the bride to see, "Revenant" last night. What a good movie. Can't remember seeing a really good movie in a long time.

Didn't know this was a true story till this morning. What a traumatic life this mountain man had. The bear attack was unbelievable!!! Di Caprio did a fantastic job.

This movie made me want to take my BP guns to the range and have a ball.

Anyone else see it? I want to go out and find the book.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, but it's not a true story the way Hollywood shows it.

Just consider it good entertainment.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to see a more "truer" account of the story then find "Man In The Wilderness" starring Richard Harris from 1971. It follows the book more closely. While "The Revenant" has some fantastic cinematography, as Pete pointed out, they took some seriously long liberties with the story line. "Man In The Wilderness", while still "Hollywooded" somewhat, followed much more to the written story. Not taking away from "The Revenant" in any way as it was a great movie and even though DiCaprio had very few worded lines in the movie, he flat out nailed it.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think that was accurate either, but it was entertaining.

http://hughglass.org/
Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I liked watching some of the scenes with the flintlocks. One where the hammer came back so far it was parallel to the stock, another one aiming with the frizzen forward.
I noticed that no one ever had a misfire or hang fire! I guess maybe that homemade BP was better than what we have today.

But I thought it was an ok movie. Not as good as Jeremiah Johnson, but good.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hollywood always gets it right!!!

The best ones are the movies that are set in PA or WV, etc... and show deer and its some sort of Reindeer or exotic thats not even native to the US. Makes you wonder what if anything the people in HollyWeird know.

And fwiw, I can't wait to see that movie. I think DiCaprio is great. Didn't used to like him but he's really turned into a good actor. Can't believe how much he looks like Jack Nicholson now - to me anyhow.

Last edited by WV Hunter; 01-11-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Movie/actors won a bunch of awards already.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i seen it too did you notice in the scene where he gets the indian girl out of trouble and he grabs the trapper pistol off the ground he shoots the first guy then takes off on the horse and fires two more shots without reloading i thought that was funny but i guess most people wouldn't pick up on that if there not into it like us !
Old 01-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
........did you notice in the scene where he gets the indian girl out of trouble and he grabs the trapper pistol off the ground he shoots the first guy then takes off on the horse and fires two more shots without reloading i thought that was funny but i guess most people wouldn't pick up on that if there not into it like us !
I frequently pick up on things like that. I've got to be careful of what I say lest I be deemed no fun. You're totally right, though.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Banned

them old muzzle pistols would fire three or four shots and were full on automatics. that is ,till the gubernment banned em in the early 1900s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.